MJ's L.O.V.E. Is Magical

The 2012 Summer London Olympiad ~ Schedule and Information.

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The 2012 Summer London Olympiad ~ Schedule and Information.

Post by MJ Mod on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:39 pm

First topic message reminder :

This thread will be for all of the 2012 summer Olympics information! I will start here by posting the schedule for all the events- if you do not live in London or London’s time zone- be sure that the “MY TIME” option above the interactive schedule is gray. Click the down arrow to the left of the time slot you are looking at to show who will be playing at that specified time. Some sports already show what country is playing at what time without having to click the arrow.

Events that have already happened may have a "full replay" option to the right of the event name.

In the US the opening ceremony will be broadcast on NBC at 19:30 EDT/ 18:30 CDT/19:30 PDT

Archery
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Badminton

Basketball

Beach Volleyball

Boxing

Canoe/Kayak

Cycling

Diving

Equestrian

Fencing

Field Hockey

Gymnastics

Handball

Judo

Modern Pentathlon

Rhythmic Gymnastics

Rowing

Sailing

Shooting

Soccer

Swimming

Synchronized Swimming

Table Tennis

Taekwondo

Tennis

Track & Field

Trampoline

Triathlon

Volleyball

Water Polo

Weightlifting

Wrestling

~~~

If you live in the US: If go to this link here and type in your ZIP code you can find your local TV listings for all of the Olympic events. It also has exclusive videos specific to your local NBC channel along with a listing of your state's athletes.

~~~

Here is the online live coverage for the olympics. As streams become available they will show on this page. Click "LIVE NOW" if you want to view current live streams-or you can click through the dates to watch replays of the streams that have already happened or to see when streams will be broadcast on future dates.

~~~
Feel free to post your own 2012 Olympics info. here also! Below is the link to the 2012 Olympics chat thread- which will be used for all here to chat about and discuss the 2012 Olympics!

PLEASE NOTE: I FIND AND POST ARTICLES BEFORE SOME OF THE EVENTS THAT ARE WRITTEN ABOUT HAVE BEEN AIRED IN PARTS OF THE WESTERN HEMISPHERE- IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN ALL OF THE EVENTS YOU WANT TO SEE ON A PARTICULAR DAY AND DON'T WANT SPOILERS- PLEASE BE MINDFUL OF WHAT ARTICLES YOU READ. I POST THE DAY OF THE ARTICLE AT THE TOP OF EACH POST SO EVERYONE KNOWS.

Last edited by MJ Mod on Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:06 pm; edited 5 times in total
MJ Mod

Back to top Go down

Re: The 2012 Summer London Olympiad ~ Schedule and Information.

Post by MJ Mod on Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:40 am

Synchronized Swimmers’ Dazzle With King Of Pop Swimsuits
August 6, 2012 7:54 AM

The Russian synchronized swimming duo Natalia Ishchenko and Svetlana Romashina wowed audiences not only with their routine paying tribute to Michael Jackson songs, but also their matching swimsuits that featured the King of Pop himself.

The pair wore a sparkly silver and black suit that had Jackson’s iconic image shimmering in the water. Not only did the duo win big with their amazing costumes, but they also won the technical round with a score of 98.200 and move on to another qualifying round on Monday before the final on Tuesday, according to Yahoo.

Check out their amazing Michael Jackson costumes below!

Source link: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
MJ Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Mod on Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:49 am

Day 10 Review: Men's draw decided
07 August 201200:22

Defending champions the USA will meet Italy in the quarter-finals of the men's Volleyball competition after the round-robin games were concluded on Day 10.

Alan Knipe's men wrapped their round-robin campaign up with a 3-0 win against Tunisia today to top Pool B, while Italy finished fourth in Group A.

Bulgaria topped their pool after winning a straight shoot-out with Italy today and will face Germany - 3-0 losers to Brazil, although they did rest star man Gyorgy Grozer.

Poland were runners-up to Bulgaria despite losing to Australia this morning and will meet Russia, while Brazil and Argentina will also square up.

Australia, Great Britain, Serbia and Tunisia are the four sides to make an early exit.

The Host Nation went down to a 3-0 defeat against Argentina today, while Russia were straight-sets winners over Serbia.

Russia's Maxim Mikhaylov ended the group stage as the leading scorer with 93 points, just two more than Australia's Thomas Edgar.

Germany's Markus Steuerwald was rated as the competition's best libero, while Russia's tall Marko Padrascanin returned a top-scoring 81 blocks.

Last edited by MJ Mod on Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
MJ Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Mod on Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:52 am

Day 10 Review: Stunning win for Sanchez
7 August 2012

Felix Sanchez produced a brilliant display to claim gold in the 400m Hurdles on another exciting night of Athletics action at the Olympic Stadium.

The event had been billed as a battle between world number one Javier Culson and Britain's world champion Dai Greene, but Sanchez stormed to victory in 47.63 - the same time with which he won the title in Athens in 2004.

Asked what the reaction would be back home in the Dominican Republic, 34-year-old Sanchez said: 'It's going to be huge. They expected the Worlds (he won the World Championship in 2001 and 2003), but no-one expected this.

'A lot of people said I should retire but I stuck with it.'

USA's Michael Tinsley took a surprise silver medal in a personal best of 47.91, with Culson forced to settle for bronze and Greene down in fourth.

'It was a very bad run on my behalf,' said Culson, who won Puerto Rico's first-ever Olympic Athletics medal.

'I'm not pleased with it at all. I lost my rhythm towards the end of the race and I couldn't get it back. I send my apologies to the people back home, but at least I made it to the final.'

In the men's 400m, Grenada's Kirani James added Olympic gold to his world title with a brilliant national record of 43.94, with Luguelin Santos winning silver for the Dominican Republic in a final which did not feature a single USA athlete.

Elsewhere, defending champion Elena Isinbaeva had to settle for bronze in the Pole Vault final.

The USA's Jennifer Suhr claimed gold on countback from Yarisley Silva of Cuba after both had cleared 4.75m, with Isinbaeva clearing 4.70m.

Isinbaeva said: 'I am really happy, it's like a gold medal for me. I think this tells me "Don't quit" as I planned to after London.'

In the women's Shot Put, Nadzeya Ostapchuk of Belarus won gold ahead of New Zealand's Valerie Adams after dominating the competition with four throws over 21m.

'I'm very happy,' she said. 'It's my third Olympic Games and it's been a long road to get to this gold medal. This is to everyone in Belarus, I would like to say a huge thank you to all of them.'

Russia's Yuliya Zaripova won the 3000m Steeplechase in a new personal best of 9:06.72.

Last edited by MJ Mod on Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
MJ Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Mod on Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:57 am

DAY 10 (AUGUST 6) RECAP
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Medal count standings Day 10 (August 6):

1. China- 64 medals: 31 gold 19 silver 14 bronze
2. United States- 63 medals: 29 gold 15 silver 19 bronze
3. Russia- 42 medals: 7 gold 17 silver 18 bronze

~

Review: Sanchez shines on day of firsts
7 August 2012

Felix Sanchez became the oldest-ever winner of an Olympic Games sprint event as he reclaimed the 400m Hurdles crown on an action-packed Day 10, while there were maiden medals for Grenada and Cyprus.

The 34-year-old Sanchez, from the Dominican Republic, took gold at Athens 2004 eight years ago but was not widely considered to be a medal contender this time around.
However, he stunned the rest of the field to come home in 47.63 and edge American Michael Tinsley into second with favourite Javier Culson third.

Sanchez said: 'No-one expected this. A lot of people said I should retire but I stuck with it.

'They'll all be celebrating [in Dominican Republic] now.'

Another Caribbean island celebrating is Grenada, after Kirani James gave them their first-ever Olympic Games medal by storming to victory in the 400m in a time of 43.94.

Elsewhere on the track, Yuliya Zaripova took gold in the women's 3000m Steeplechase, clocking a new personal best of 9:06.72.

The Russian was an impressive winner, bursting clear down the home straight to cross the line ahead of Tunisia's Habiba Ghribi.

USA athlete Jennifer Suhr dethroned Eelena Isinbaeva as Pole Vault queen by taking gold in 4.75m.

She won on countback from Cuban Yarisley Silva, while the great Russian, who had been a two-time reigning Olympic Games champion and is the current world record holder, had to settle for bronze.

Australian Sally Pearson impressed in the women's 100m Hurdles in the morning, confirming her status as a gold-medal favourite.

Pearson recorded the fastest time ever in the opening round, a 12.57 effort which eased her through to the semi-finals.

American Lolo Jones was the second fastest qualifier in 12.68 but Brigitte Foster-Hylton from Jamaica, regarded as a contender for a podium place, hit a hurdle and crashed out.

World record holder and 2011 world champion David Rudisha cruised through in the men's 800m, as did Sudan's Abubaaker Kaki.

Meanwhile, in the Sailing, Australia earned themselves a gold - and another was virtually assured.

Australia started the 11th full day of competition with just one gold - claimed in the pool by the women's 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay team - but that tally looks set to be tripled after a successful day at Weymouth and Portland.

Tom Slingsby started things off with victory in the men's Laser class.

The 27-year-old came into the regatta as overriding favourite just like he did in Beijing four years ago, where he did not even make the medal race and finished in 22nd place.

Slingsby made amends this week, though, impressing throughout and securing gold in the medal race.

'Who would be feeling better in the world right now? No one,' he said.

'I've worked for 12 years to get here. I put everything I had into it and I've done it. I couldn't be happier.'

Slingsby came into the medal race with a 14-point lead over his nearest rival Pavlos Kontides and kept the Cypriot at a distance.

Kontides does, however, have the consolation of taking Cyprus' first-ever Olympic medal.

Australian success continued with Nathan Outteridge and Iain Jensen all but securing gold in the 49er class. The pair got a first and third to make their lead unassailable heading into the medal race.

Outteridge and Jensen have only got to turn up to compete in Wednesday's medal race - even if they finish last - to clinch the victory.

China's Xu Lijia won the Laser Radial class, while the nation also remained on course to claim all four Table Tennis gold medals after Li Xiaoxia, Ding Ning and Guo Yue booked their place in the women's Team event final.

In the Artistic Gymnastics, Russia's Aliya Mustafina won the Uneven Bars crown ahead of defending champion He Kexin of China and Britain's Beth Tweddle while Brazil's Arthur Nabarrete Zanetti took gold in a dramatic men's Rings final.

South Korea's Yang Hak-Seon took the men's Vault crown.

Giovanni Cernogoraz of Croatia was a dramatic winner of the men's Trap at the final Shooting event of London 2012.

The 29-year-old qualified for the final with the lowest score but missed only once while his rivals faltered.

He ended up in a shoot-off for gold with world champion Massimo Fabbrizi, and it was the Italian who missed first to give Cernogoraz the title.

British dominance continued at the Velodrome with Jason Kenny edging out France's Gregory Bauge to win the men's Sprint final.

The Host Nation's astonishing Games also saw them record an 18th gold in the Equestrian Team Jumping event.

In the women’s Football semi-finals, Japan beat France 2-1 with goals from Yuki Ogimi and Mizuho Sakaguchi, while the USA beat neighbours Canada 4-3 in dramatic fashion.

The game went into extra time at 3-3 and Alex Morgan headed a winner for America with seconds of the added 30 minutes remaining.

MJ Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Mod on Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:44 am

DAY 11 (AUGUST 7) RECAP
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Medal count standings Day 11 (August 7):

1. China- 73 medals: 34 gold 21 silver 18 bronze
2. United States- 70 medals: 30 gold 19 silver 21 bronze
3. Russia- 48 medals: 10 gold 18 silver 20 bronze

~

Review: Pearson highlights memorable day
8 August 2012

Sally Pearson delivered Australia's first Athletics gold medal of the London 2012 Olympics with a dramatic victory in the 100m Hurdles on another amazing day at the Games.

The hot favourite clocked an Olympic record of 12.35 to edge out the USA's defending champion Dawn Harper into silver by just 0.02 seconds. Another USA athlete, Kellie Wells, took the bronze in 12.48.

Pearson endured a nervous few moments before the result was confirmed on the scoreboard, bringing cheers of delight from the Australian fans.

Later, Algeria's Taoufik Makhloufi claimed men's 1500m gold in convincing fashion as he pulled clear down the home straight to win in 3:34.08. American Leonel Manzano took the silver and Moroccan Abdalaati Iguider the bronze.

Germany's Robert Harting took gold in the Discus with a throw of 68.27m. He celebrated in style by removing his top and embarking on a lap of honour draped in the German flag, before leaping over the barriers set out for the 100m Hurdles final to cheers from the stands. Iran's Ehsan Hadadi took silver with 68.18m and Estonia's Gerd Kanter bronze with 68.03m.

Ivan Ukhov took the High Jump gold medal after being the only man to clear 2.36m and 2.38m.

In the morning, Usain Bolt began his bid to add a second Olympic Games 200m crown to his two 100m titles with a hugely comfortable heat victory.

The Jamaican, who clocked an Olympic record 9.63 to retain his 100m crown on Sunday, cruised to victory in 20.39.

Bolt has said he needs to win 200m gold again before he achieves his aim of becoming a 'legend'.

'It was an easy run, I'm enjoying it, it's my favourite event,' said Bolt.

His countryman and training partner Yohan Blake also breezed through, slowing down well before the line to clock 20.38.

World number one Aries Merritt qualified impressively in the men’s 110m Hurdles in 13.07 but there was more Olympic Games disappointment for China's Liu Xiang.

The Athens 2004 champion, one of the favourites for the gold medal in London, suffered a recurrence of an Achilles injury and was unable to make it over the first barrier in his heat.

The disappointment echoed that of four years ago when Liu - the face of the Beijing 2008 Games - stunned the crowd by walking off the start line, unable to run because of an Achilles problem.

'I feel really sorry about this situation,' said Feng Shuyong, the Head Coach of the Chinese Athletics team. 'We think it was like four years ago, the same thing happened again.

'I feel really sad because he has worked very hard to get back to the level he was at before as champion.'

Chris Hoy and Laura Trott won their second gold medals of London 2012 as Great Britain equalled their Beijing 2008 Track Cycling haul of seven wins from 10 events - but there was no golden goodbye for Victoria Pendleton.

Hoy won the final event of the London 2012 Track Cycling programme with a stunning triumph in the men's Keirin, while Trott won the women's Omnium.

But Pendleton was denied a final flourish as perennial rival Anna Meares of Australia claimed women's Sprint gold with a dramatic 2-0 win over the Briton.

There was further success for the Host Nation in the men's Triathlon, with Alistair Brownlee winning gold and his brother Jonny bronze. Spain's Javier Gomez finished second for silver.

At Weymouth and Portland, Spain's Marina Alabau Neira won gold in the women's RS:X with Dutchman Dorian van Rijsselberge claiming the men's event.

And in Gymnastics, China's Feng Zhe won the men's Parallel Bars crown with his compatriot Deng Linlin taking the women's Balance Beam and Epke Zonderland of the Netherlands the men's Horizontal Bars.

The USA's Alexandra Raisman won gold in the women's Floor final. Raisman followed up her bronze on the Beam with an impressive performance to score 15.600 and claim the title ahead of Romania's Catalina Ponor in silver (15.200) with Russian Aliya Mustafina taking bronze (14.900).

Great Britain's Dressage riders won gold and landed their first title in Olympic Games history. Barely 24 hours after the British Jumping team clinched a first gold medal for 60 years, the Dressage trio of Carl Hester, Laura Bechtolsheimer and Charlotte Dujardin also triumphed at Greenwich Park.

China closed on a second successive clean sweep of Table Tennis Olympic gold medals as Ding Ning, Li Xiaoxia and Guo Yue overcame Japan in the women's Team event final at the London 2012 Games.

Kim Hyeonwoo became the first Republic of Korea athlete to win gold in Greco-Roman Wrestling after he beat Hungary's Tamas Lorincz in the 66kg division.

Kim had stunned the crowd by defeating reigning champion Steeve Guenot in the semi-finals and he registered an impressive 1-0, 2-0 win over his opponent in the medal showdown.

Iran's Ghasem Rezaei won the 96kg crown and there was also Iranian joy in the Weightlifting with Behdad Salimikordasiabi taking the gold in the men's + 105kg.

Brazil and Mexico will compete for the gold in the men's Football final after winning their semi-final clashes. Mexico hit back to beat Japan 3-1 while Brazil proved too strong for Republic of Korea, winning 3-0.

Russia's Ilya Zakharov ended China's Diving dominance as he claimed gold in the men's 3m Springboard.

MJ Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Mod on Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:07 pm

Guerdat takes Individual Jumping gold
8 August 2012

Switzerland's Steve Guerdat won the Individual Jumping gold medal at Greenwich Park today.

Ireland's Cian O'Connor and Netherlands rider Gerco Schroder had to take part in a jump-off for the silver and bronze medals.

Schroder took silver and O'Connor secured Ireland's first medal of London 2012 with the bronze.

O'Connor, riding Blue Loyd 12, gave it everything, clocking a faster time than Schroder in the jump-off, but he had one fence down.

Schroder's horse, aptly called London, almost helped Netherlands deny Great Britain the Team Jumping gold two days ago, but he will leave for home with two silvers.

Ireland failed to qualify a team for London 2012, and were restricted to two Individual places.

Great Britain's Nick Skelton, the last rider to go, would have forced a jump-off with 30-year-old Guerdat.

I told my wife last night I was going to get in and jump a good round and she said 'dream on'.

Cian O'Connor
But one fence down - the first his stallion Big Star has had in six rounds of Jumping across Team and Individual competitions in London - cost him a medal.

Guerdat said: 'It's difficult to explain how I feel. I did not know when I came out after the second round if I had a medal or not.

'Then with two riders left I knew I had a medal and then I felt bad for Nick when the fence went down, so I will just enjoy it now.

'I am just happy for myself and my team. I am proud but I am more happy for the people behind me. They have helped me so much as a team and this gold medal is theirs, not mine.'

O'Connor added: 'I told my wife last night I was going to get in and jump a good round and she said "dream on". So many people have put a lot of work in for me to get here. It has been a wonderful journey.'

MJ Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Mod on Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:13 pm

Aly Raisman's Olympic medals
Recent disappointment fades into Olympic background
By: Andy Thornton, Special to NBC Olympics UPDATED: Aug 8, 8:39a ET

Even Olympic medalists sometimes need two tries to get it right. And sometimes, so do the judges.

After tying for third in the all-around but losing out on a medal because of a somewhat controversial tie-breaking procedure, AmericanAly Raismanroared back to win two medals in the event finals on the last day of gymnastics competition at these Olympic Games. And in an ending she’s likely dreamed about since she was a little girl,her final one was gold.

Raisman’s first opportunity for redemption from her uncharacteristic errors in the all-around arrived when she prepared to begin her balance beam routine as the last competitor of the eight finalists. The stage couldn’t have been set more perfectly for the solid and consistent Raisman to possibly sneak onto the medal podium. Gold medal hopes Gabby Douglas,Viktoria Komova, and Larisa Iordache had all fallen. Although the massive 15.6 and 15.5 posted by leaders Deng Linlin and Sui Lu of China seemed a bit out of reach, the bronze medal – temporarily held by former Olympic beam champion Catalina Ponor of Romania – was clearly within view. Ponor had suffered two wobbles and a big step on her dismount, posting a 15.066. The sturdy Raisman had scored a 15.1 in qualifications.

With just one small adjustment in her routine and a hop on her dismount, the crowd roared in approval for clearly one of the steadiest gymnasts in the final. After numerous spills and wobbles among the star-studded field, Raisman looked like a medal-winner with her calm, clutch performance.

But when the score was flashed, it appeared Raisman had once again just missed, as her 14.966 sat in 4th place behind the two Chinese and the Romanian. The score drew whistles from the crowd, which felt Raisman deserved better.

After a second look, the judges agreed.

Her coach filed an inquiry regarding the difficulty portion of her score, and after the judges reviewed her routine, her difficulty rating was increased from a 6.2 to a 6.3, raising her final score to a 15.066. But this placed her in an exact tie for third with Ponor – the very same situation in which she found herself in the all-around.

This time, though, the tie-break went to the American. In accordance with the rules, Raisman’s higher execution total gave her the edge over the former Olympic champion,bumping Ponor to 4th, and giving Raisman the medal she had lost several days before.

With now one individual Olympic medal to her name, the world bronze medalist on floor approached the final event of these Olympic Games with a new found confidence. The powerful Raisman hit her stunning opening tumbling pass – complete with the ending front layout she omitted in the team final and all-around final – then followed it up with absolutely perfect landings on her next three runs. Her signature rebound at the end of her finalone not only propelled her several feet in the air – it leapt her right to the top of the standings. Her monstrous 15.6– the highest floor score awarded at these Olympic Games – was untouchable byany other gymnast in the final. Even a near perfect routine from former Olympic floor champion Catalina Ponor – the same gymnast Raisman had just eclipsed for a beam medal – could only strike four tenths away from the American. The American team captain, and the gymnast whom many expected to play the role of“table-setter” for her team, had just become an Olympic champion.

It might have taken a couple of tries to get onto the individual medal podium, but with two of the best performances of her life and now three Olympic medals to bring home from London, Aly Raisman has just become the most decorated American gymnast of these Games. To win these final two, Aly Raisman used the very same qualities that define her gymnastics, and which have made her one of the most dependable gymnasts on this American team – tenacity, perseverance,and poise under pressure. And that is exactly what Olympic medals are made of.

MJ Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Mod on Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:51 am

DAY 12 (AUGUST 8) RECAP
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Medal count standings Day 12 (August 8):

1. United States- 81 medals: 34 gold 22 silver 25 bronze
2. China- 77 medals: 36 gold 22 silver 19 bronze
3. Russia- 52 medals: 11 gold 19 silver 22 bronze

~

Review: Team USA set gold standard
9 August 2012

Day 12 saw records set straight in the Olympic Stadium on a good night for Team USA, while Usain Bolt warmed up for another night in the headlines in his usual style.

After having to settle for silver at the last two Games, USA's Allyson Felix finally got her hands on an Olympic gold medal with a brilliant run in the 200m final.

Felix, runner-up at Athens 2004 and Beijing 2008 to Jamaica's Veronica Campbell-Brown, overcame a sluggish start to lead coming off the bend and was never going to be caught, the 26-year-old clocking a time of 21.88 to finish 0.21 seconds ahead of 100m champion Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce.

USA's Carmelita Jeter, silver medallist over 100m, took bronze with Campbell-Brown fourth and failing in her bid to become the first woman to win a track event for three Games in succession.

The USA then enjoyed a one-two in the 110m Hurdles as Aries Merritt stormed to victory in 12.92, the fastest time in the world this year and just 0.01 seconds off the Olympic record set by Liu Xiang at Athens 2004.

Team-mate Jason Richardson took silver in 13.04 with Jamaica's Hansle Parchment taking bronze in a new national record of 13.12.

World record holder Dayron Robles of Cuba pulled up injured midway through the race.

And a glorious night for the USA was completed when Brittney Reese won gold in the women's Long Jump.

Russia's Natalya Antyukh won the 400m Hurdles, the 31-year-old just holding off USA's Lashinda Demus at the finish.

Antyukh recorded a personal best of 52.70 to finish just 0.06 outside the Olympic record held by 2008 champion Melaine Walker, with Demus setting a season's best of 52.77.

Czech Zuzana Hejnova claimed the bronze medal just ahead of Jamaica's Kaliese Spencer.

Usain Bolt edged ever nearer the legendary status he craves after easing into the 200m final.

While many would already consider the Jamaican superstar a legend for winning triple gold at Beijing 2008 and defending his 100m title here on Sunday, Bolt himself insists he also has to retain his 200m title.

And the 25-year-old looks increasingly likely to do just that, effectively winning his semi-final before halfway and almost jogging down the home straight to win in 20.18.

Team-mate Yohan Blake was the fastest qualifier after also slowing down markedly in winning the opening semi-final in 20.01, but Bolt has no doubts he will put his training partner in his place once again on Thursday.

'No doubt whatsoever,' Bolt said. 'I'm ready, this is my favourite event, so I'm looking forward to it.'

Australia's Nathan Outteridge and Iain Jensen won their country's fifth gold medal of London 2012 by completing victory in the Sailing 49er class.

The pair's success was a formality and they eased home with a fourth-place finish in the medal race at Weymouth and Portland.

New Zealand's Peter Burling and Blair Tuke were assured of silver but Denmark's Allan Norregaard and Peter Lang produced a late burst to secure bronze ahead of final race winners Austria and fellow hopefuls Great Britain.

Four gold medals were handed out at Eton Dorney as the first of the Canoe Sprint finals took place.

Norway's Eirik Veras Larsen triumphed in the men's Kayak Single (K1) 1000m, finishing ahead of world champion Adam van Koeverden of Canada and Max Hoff from Germany.

Another German, Sebastian Brendel, took the men's Canoe Single (C1) 1000m title with David Cal Figueroa of Spain second and Canada's Mark Oldershaw third.

In the men's Kayak Double (K2) 1000m, Hungary's Rudolf Dombi and Roland Kokeny won gold, just ahead of Portugal's Fernando Pimenta and Emanuel Silva. Martin Hollstein and Andreas Ihle from Germany won bronze.

The Hungarian team won the women's Kayak Four (K4) 500m with Germany and Belarus also earning podium positions.

Switzerland's Steve Guerdat won the Individual Jumping Equestrian gold medal at Greenwich Park.

Six riders carried zero faults into the final individual round but only Guerdat was able to go clear.

Gerco Schroder of the Netherlands beat Ireland's Cian O'Connor in a jump-off for silver and bronze.

China completed a clean sweep of the Table Tennis gold medals for the second successive Olympics with victory in the men's Team event at ExCeL.

The team of Ma Long, Zhang Jike and Wang Hao proved too strong for the Republic of Korea, easing into an unassailable 3-0 lead. Ma and Zhang were both convincing in the Singles before Zhang combined with Wang to wrap up the job in the Doubles.

Germany beat Hong Kong 3-1 to claim the bronze medal.

The Nethelrands will meet Argentina in the women's Hockey final after they both won. The Dutch beat New Zealand on a penalty shoot-out while the South Americans ousted Great Britain 2-1.

Kaori Icho beat Jing Ruixue to claim her third successive Olympic gold and complete a clean sweep for Japan on the first night of women's Wrestling at London 2012.

Icho became the only woman wrestler to triumph in Athens, Beijing and London after she beat her Chinese opponent to record a straightforward 3-0, 2-0 win in the 63kg category final at the ExCeL.

Icho's victory came barely an hour after Hitomi Obara came from behind to register a hard-fought win over Azerbaijan's Mariya Stadnyk in the 48kg category.

Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh of the United States secured gold in the all-American final of the women's Beach Volleyball at Horse Guards Parade.

The duo claimed their third consecutive Olympic title after they defeated number six seeds Jennifer Kessy and April Ross in straight sets.

China's Wu Jingyu successfully defended her -49kg Olympic title with victory over Spaniard Brigitte Yague Enrique on the first night of Taekwondo at ExCeL.

Thailand's Chanatip Sonkham and Lucija Zaninovic of Croatia claimed bronze.

In the last bout of the night, Spain's Joel Gonzalez Bonilla claimed gold as he beat Republic of Korea's Lee Daehoon in the final of the men's -58kg.

Bronze went to Russian Alexey Denisenko and Colombian 19-year-old Oscar Munoz Oveido.

MJ Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Mod on Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:05 pm

Lloyd leads USA to victory
9 August 2012

Carli Lloyd was the USA's Olympic hero again as they avenged their World Cup final defeat by Japan and took gold with a 2-1 win at Wembley.

Lloyd's brilliant double in the final were enough for the USA to complete a hat-trick of Olympic titles, as the midfielder added to her winner in the Beijing 2008 showpiece.
They also made amends for her penalty shoot-out miss in last year's World Cup final.

Yuki Ogimi pulled a goal back for Japan, who had plenty of chances to equalise and were denied by the woodwork as they failed in a bid to add the Olympic title to their world crown.

But they contributed to a superb spectacle and another brilliant advert for the women's game.

The USA were playing in their fifth successive final, having lost just one of the previous four, while Japan were in their very first.

Both sides had come through scares in the semi-finals, the USA coming from behind three times to beat Canada in extra-time, and Japan seeing off a second-half onslaught against France.

There was good support for each team, but it was the USA fans who were celebrating in the eighth minute as Lloyd opened the scoring.

Tobin Heath got free down the left and crossed for Alex Morgan, whose heavy touch actually allowed her to chip up a ball that Lloyd arrived late to head home, stealing it off the toe of Abby Wambach.

It was the first time Japan had been behind all tournament and they responded superbly, going close twice in quick succession 10 minutes later.

A fine move ended with Nahomi Kawasumi's shot being blocked by Christie Rampone - although it may have been going wide - with Hope Solo thwarting Ogimi on the rebound.

Solo then excelled herself, magnificently tipping Ogimi's header from Kawasumi's cross onto the crossbar, Ogimi smashing over the follow-up.

Heath was lucky to get away with handballing Aya Miyama's free-kick as Japan continued to dominate but they enjoyed a let-off themselves when Azusa Iwashimizu headed Amy LePeilbet's cross against her own post.

They should have equalised in the 33rd minute, Miyama the next to hit the woodwork after Shinobu Ohno found herself all alone in the box, the latter then sending a beautiful curling shot a few metres wide.

Both sides threatened early in the second half before Lloyd scored a stunning second goal in the 54th minute.

The Japan defence backed off as the midfielder carried the ball forward but even they could not have predicted the unstoppable 20-yard shot that flew into the net.

However, the world champions refused to buckle and, after bringing on Asuna Tanaka, they halved the deficit in the 63rd minute.

A lovely move saw Homare Sawa's shot blocked by Rampone and the ball broke for Ogimi to shoot home.

A sprawling Miho Fukumoto save prevented Rachel Buehler restoring the USA's two-goal lead while there was a desperate scramble at the other end after they failed to deal with a free-kick.

Lloyd was agonisingly close to a hat-trick when she hit a shot just over and Japan substitute Mana Iwabuchi should have equalised when she robbed Rampone 20 yards out but shot too close to Solo, who nevertheless produced a fine save.

Wambach could have netted late on but it did not matter that she missed out as the USA held on.

MJ Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Mod on Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:07 pm

USA make a splash for gold
9 August 2012

The USA took gold in the women's Water Polo with a convincing 8-5 victory over Spain at the Water Polo Arena.

Maggie Steffens scored five goals for the USA as they cruised past the Europeans in the tournament final.

The win gives the USA their first Olympic Water Polo gold, after silver at Beijing 2008, bronze at Athens 2004 and silver in the first women's Water Polo competition at Sydney 2000.

A flurry of seven unanswered goals across the second, third and fourth periods propelled the USA from 2-1 down into a commanding position, 8-2 up, in the final quarter.

Superb shooting and resilient defensive work by the USA kept their scoreboard ticking over, while denying their opponents vital chances.

A stunning performance from the tournament's 'All-Star' goalkeeper, Betsey Armstrong, kept the Spaniards from scoring the goals that, until tonight, had given them an unbeaten record.

Spain did rally to outscore their opponents in the final quarter, but they left it too late to seriously bother the eventual winners.

After the game, Steffens deflected the praise for her performance and insisted the credit should be shared among the USA team.

'Definitely it was from my team-mates. When you're getting up there it's about the pass, it's about the steal and our defensive blocks were really creating the offensive end for us,' said Steffens.

'And you could tell towards the second half the attacking side slowed down, but the defence really started to pick up, so I think that was really important.'

Asked when the gold medallists felt they had won the game, she added: 'We didn't feel like we had it in the bag until the final buzzer rings. We've learned that.'

Earlier, Australia took bronze with a dramatic extra-time win over Hungary.

In a repeat of the Beijing 2008 third-place play-off, the Australians looked to have won their second successive bronze in normal time.

A last-second Hungarian leveller forced the tight game into added time, but Australia scored two unanswered goals to clinch the match 13-11.

MJ Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Mod on Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:22 pm

DAY 13 (AUGUST 9) RECAP
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Medal count standings Day 13 (August 9):

1. United States- 90 medals: 39 gold 25 silver 26 bronze
2. China- 80 medals: 37 gold 24 silver 19 bronze
3. Russia- 56 medals: 12 gold 21 silver 23 bronze

~

Review: Bolt strikes a double
10 August 2012

Usain Bolt made history on Day 13 as he became the first man ever to win the Olympic Games sprint double twice in succession.

The Jamaican successfully defended his 100m title on Sunday night and he followed that with another imperious performance today, leading a Jamaican clean-sweep in the 200m ahead of 100m silver medallist Yohan Blake and Warren Weir.

Bolt's winning time of 19.32 was outside his own world record of 19.19, which he felt might be a possibility, but the 80,000 crowd had already witnessed one such record after a stunning performance from Kenya's David Rudisha.

Rudisha stormed to victory in the 800m and broke his own world record in the process, racing through the first lap in 49.28 seconds and powering to the gold medal in 1:40.91.

Eighteen-year-old Nijel Amos of Botswana claimed silver in a world junior record of 1:41.73 ahead of 17-year-old Kenyan Timothy Kitum.

American Christian Taylor then added the Olympic title to his world Triple Jump crown with a superb jump of 17.81m, the longest in the world this year.

That left him 19cm ahead of team-mate Will Claye (17.62m), with Italy's Fabrizio Donato taking bronze with 17.48m.

World record holder Ashton Eaton claimed Decathlon gold in the final event of the night.

Eaton took a 151-point lead over team-mate Trey Hardee into the 1500m and finished ahead of the two-time world champion to end up 198 points clear after two gruelling days of competition. Cuba's Leonel Suarez claimed bronze.

Earlier in the day, Eva Risztov had stunned home favourite and world title holder Keri-anne Payne to claim gold in the women's 10km Marathon Swimming.

The Hungarian won in 1:57:38.2, holding off a fast-finishing Haley Anderson.

Martina Grimaldi was third, holding off Payne's late sprint by 0.4 seconds.

China's Chen Ruolin successfully defended her women's 10m Platform title at the Aquatics Centre with a score of 422.30.

Sixteen-year-old Australian Brittany Broben was Chen's closest challenger but even then she was still a massive 55.80 points further back.

Pandelela Rinong Pamg took bronze for Malaysia as she edged out a tight pack behind her with a score of 359.20.

The USA took Olympic gold in the women's Water Polo with a convincing 8-5 victory over Spain.

Maggie Steffens scored five goals for the USA as they cruised past the Europeans.

Australia took bronze with a dramatic 13-11 extra-time win over Hungary.

There was more to celebrate for the USA's women as they beat Japan 2-1 to take Football gold at Wembley.

Carli Lloyd's brilliant two goals in the final were enough for the USA to complete a hat-trick of Olympic titles, as the midfielder added to her winner in the Beijing 2008 final.

Yuki Ogimi pulled a goal back for Japan, who had plenty of chances to equalise and were denied by the woodwork.

Germany stunned world champions Brazil to take gold in the men's Beach Volleyball - the first Europeans to become Olympic champions.

Julius Brink and Jonas Reckermann won by two sets to one, 23-21 16-21 16-14, but it took them five match points to settle the contest.

Latvian pair Martins Plavins and Janis Smedins took bronze in a surprise 2-1 victory over the Netherlands' Reinder Nummerdor and Richard Schull.

It was also a good day for Germany at Eton Dorney with two golds.

The pairing of Peter Kretschmer and Kurt Kuschela comfortably won the men's Canoe Double (C2) 1000m, with Franziska Weber and Tina Dietze landing gold in the women's Kayak Double (K2) 500m

The men's Kayak Four (K4) 1000m was won by the Australian quartet of Dave Smith, Tate Smith, Murray Stewart and Jacob Clear while Hungary's Danuta Kozak landed the women's Kayak Single (K1) 500m title.

British Dressage star Charlotte Dujardin won her second gold medal of London 2012 when she was crowned Olympic Individual Dressage champion at Greenwich Park.

Dutch rider Adelinde Cornelissen came second, with another Briton, Laura Bechtolsheimer, third.

The Host Nation were also successful in the women's Boxing, as Nicola Adams made history.

Adams overwhelmed China's double world champion Ren Cancan 16-7 to be crowned the first ever Olympic women's Boxing champion at ExCeL.

Katie Taylor followed Adams into the ring and delighted the hordes of Irish fans with a hard-fought 10-8 defeat of Russia's Sofya Ochigava.

America's Claressa Shields won the women's Middle Weight division.

Jade Jones sealed a successful day for GB by winning their first-ever Taekwondo gold, overcoming Hou Yuzhuo of China in the women's Under 57kg final.

Saori Yoshida won her third successive Olympic gold to maintain Japan's dominance of women's Wrestling at London 2012.

Yoshida beat Canada's Tonya Lynn Verbeek 3-0 2-0 in tonight's final of the 55kg weight category.

Jackeline Renteria Castillo of Colombia and Azerbaijan's Yuliya Ratkevich claimed the two bronze medals.

Later, Russia's Natalia Vorobieva stunned Stanka Zlateva Hristova to take gold in thrilling style in the 72kg division.

Maider Unda earlier won bronze to claim Spain's first-ever Wrestling medal while Kazakhstan's Guzel Manyurova won the division's other bronze.

In the Hockey, defending Olympic champions Germany twice came from behind to beat favourites Australia 4-2 to book their place in the final.

They will face Holland who beat Great Britain 9-2 in a thriller at the Riverbank Arena.

Defending champions Brazil set up a repeat of the 2008 women's Olympic Volleyball final with the United States by seeing off Japan 3-0.

Earlier in the day, the USA had beaten South Korea by the same score.

Heidi Loke scored eight goals and Norway stayed on course for a second successive Olympic gold medal in women's Handball as they reached Saturday's final with a 31-25 victory over the Republic of Korea. They will face Montenegro, who beat Spain 27-26 courtesy of nine goals from Katarina Bulatovic.

The medal race in the men's 470 Sailing event was postponed due to light winds on the south coast.

France will play in the final of the Olympic women's Basketball tournament for the first time after pulling away late on for a comfortable 81-64 victory over Russia.

The final gold medal of the evening went to Czech Barbora Spotakova, who successfully defended her Javelin Throw title with a throw of 69.55m.

MJ Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Mod on Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:08 pm

Millions of young people inspired by the Games
9 August 2012

Recent figures show that millions of young people around the world are being inspired by the London 2012 Games.

80% of UK schools are now a member of the London 2012 education programme, Get Set. In the US, teenage viewership of London 2012 is up 29% on Beijing 2008, with teen girl ratings 89% higher than Glee – the number one rated primetime show on network television.

Living the Olympic and Paralympic values

The London 2012 education programme Get Set has been teaching young people to live the Olympic and Paralympic values in their schools and communities since it launched in 2007. A total of 21,000 schools have signed up to the programme and had the chance to win visits from athletes, apply for tickets and greet the London 2012 mascots Wenlock and Mandeville.

In addition, students from more than 300 schools have been on a tour of the Olympic Park, and 315,000 tickets to the Games have been given to schools across the UK as part of the London 2012 Ticketshare programme. Young people were also given the chance to play a key role in the Olympic Opening Ceremony: 2,000 students from 250 schools across the UK formed a Guard of Honour, while a further 1,500 students had the chance of a lifetime to perform inside the Olympic Stadium.

Also in the UK, the Young Leaders programme, supported by BP, has helped give 100 disadvantaged young people the chance to make positive change to their lives, delivering community team projects and individual challenges that have been inspired by the Games and the Olympic and Paralympic Values. All the Young Leaders went on to become Games Makers.

Leaving a legacy around the world

The London 2012 Games have also had an impact on children’s day-to-day lives outside the UK. International Inspiration, London 2012’s international sports legacy programme, has reached out to more than 12 million children in 20 different countries, teaching them sport, education and critical life skills.

In Bangladesh, a country prone to flooding, more than 250,000 children have learnt survival swimming. In Brazil, there has been an increase in the number of PE teachers by up to 80% in 13 of the 26 local authorities where the programme is active. And in Zambia, International Inspiration is using sport to engage children in HIV and AIDS education, reaching 1.5 million young people and adults so far.

MJ Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Mod on Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:33 am

DAY 14 (AUGUST 10) RECAP
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Medal count standings Day 14 (August 10):

1. United States- 94 medals: 41 gold 26 silver 27 bronze
2. China- 81 medals: 37 gold 25 silver 19 bronze
3. Russia- 63 medals: 15 gold 21 silver 27 bronze

~

Review: USA's baton of change
11 August 2012

The USA's women's 4 x 100m Relay team smashed the world record with a blistering run at the Olympic Stadium on another golden day at London 2012.

The team of Tianna Madison, Allyson Felix, Bianca Knight and Carmelita Jeter raced away from their closest challengers Jamaica to take gold in a time of 40.82.

Felix said: 'It's an honour to be part of this team. Who would have thought that we would have had a world record tonight? It's amazing. Our names are going down in history.'

The Jamaicans ran a national record of 41.41, but still finished well adrift, while Ukraine took the bronze.

Asli Cakir Alptekin took gold in a scrappy 1500m. The Turkish athlete won a slow race in 4:10.23, finishing ahead of compatriot Gamze Bulut, with Bahrain's Maryam Yusuf Jamal third.

Ethiopian Meseret Defar claimed gold in the women's 5000m.

Defar denied her compatriot Tirunesh Dibaba the chance to add another title to the 10,000m crown she won a week ago. Dibaba also won gold in both events at Beijing 2008.

Kenya's Vivian Cheruiyot was second with Dibaba getting the bronze.

Bahamas won the men's 4 x 400m Relay final in 2:56.72, with the USA second and Trinidad third, 0.31 ahead of Great Britain.

South Africa, with Oscar Pistorius running fourth, finished in eighth place.

Russia's Tatyana Lysenko won the women's Hammer Throw in an Olympic record of 78.18m while France's Renaud Lavillenie took the men's Pole Vault crown.

Australia and New Zealand enjoyed a golden day on the water at Weymouth and Portland in the Sailing.

Mathew Belcher and Malcolm Page finished first for the green and gold in the men's 470 class and were followed to the top of the podium by Jo Aleh and Olivia Powrie of New Zealand in the women's equivalent.

Tunisia's Oussama Mellouli won the men's 10km Marathon open water Swimming and then hinted at retirement.

Mellouli, who won the bronze in the 1500m Freestyle in the pool last week, finished the race ahead of Germany's Thomas Lurz and Richard Weinberger of Canada.

Mellouli said: 'I can't explain it, I can't really describe it.

'I don't think this has ever been done before. This is probably one of the toughest things to do.'

As for his future, he added: 'There's no way I can top this achievement.

'Today I became the first to get medals in the pool and open water. There's no better way than this to leave it all behind me and just enjoy life.'

Champions the Netherlands successfully defended their title to spoil Argentina captain Luciana Aymar's farewell to international Hockey on her 35th birthday.

Olympic gold is the only medal the South American playmaker and seven-time world player of the year has not won and she admitted victory in the final would give her 'eternal glory'.

However, arguably the greatest player in the history of the women's game bowed out having won two silvers and two bronzes in her four Olympic appearances.

A cagey game was settled midway through the second half as the world number ones scored two penalty-corner goals in relatively quick succession from Carlien Dirkse van den Heuvel and captain Maartje Paumen.

Reigning Olympic Synchronised Swimming champions Russia held onto their title, winning gold in the Team event.

The squad won out with a combined score of 197.030 for their Technical and Free routines, both set to music by Denis Garnizov.

China were beaten into second place, with a combined score of 194.010, while Spain clinched bronze with 193.12.

Mariana Pajon won the women's BMX Racing - Colombia's second-ever gold medal - after profiting from a fast start with Maris Strombergs winning the men's equivalent.

Russia are one win away from a fourth Olympic Volleyball title after emerging 3-1 winners from an all-European semi-final with Bulgaria. They will play Brazil, who coasted past Italy 3-0.

Croatia's men's Water Polo side also edged towards gold after winning their last-four clash with Montenegro 7-5.

They will play Italy for gold after they stunned pre-tournament favourites Serbia 9-7.

Russia claimed their fourth Wrestling gold of London 2012 after Dzhamal Otarsultanov beat Vladimer Khinchegashvili in the 55kg Freestyle final.

Otarsultanov, 25, had never wrestled in a senior World Championships before he came to London, but he performed well at the ExCeL, edging past his 21-year-old Georgian opponent 1-0 4-3.

Jordan Burroughs walked away with gold after becoming the USA's' first Olympic Wrestling champion of London 2012.

USA has a long history of successful Olympic Wrestling campaigns, but they had not won gold in London until Burroughs defeated Iran's Sadegh Goudarzi 1-0 1-0 in the 74kg Freestyle event.

France remain on course to become the first team ever to defend their Olympic title in the men's Handball competition after a 25-22 semi-final victory over Croatia.

They will meet Sweden in the title match following the Scandinavians' 27-26 win over Hungary.

The USA and Spain set up a showpiece final in the men's Basketball.

Spain rallied behind 16 points from Pau Gasol to beat Russia 67-59 while the USA proved too strong for Argentina, winning 109-83.

Sebastian Eduardo Crismanich of Argentina won gold in the -80kg Taekwondo division, beating Nicolas Garcia Hemme of Spain 1-0 in the final.

Hwang Kyung Seon of Republic of Korea took gold in the women's -67kg Taekwondo.

MJ Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Mod on Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:45 am

DAY 15 (AUGUST 11) RECAP
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Medal count standings Day 15 (August 11):

1. United States- 102 medals: 42 gold 29 silver 29 bronze
2. China- 87 medals: 38 gold 27 silver 22 bronze
3. Russia- 78 medals: 21 gold 25 silver 32 bronze

~

Review: Bolt leads record breakers
12 August 2012

Day 15 saw the curtain fall on the track and field action at London 2012, and once again it was Usain Bolt who stole the headlines on a day when 32 gold medals were won.

Bolt brought the action at the Olympic Stadium to a fitting close, as he anchored the Jamaican 4 x 100m Relay team to gold in a new world record.

He was only level with the USA's Ryan Bailey when he took the baton after the first three legs run by Nesta Carter, Michael Frater and Yohan Blake, but stormed down the home straight to stop the clock at 36.84, taking 0.2 seconds off their previous record.

The USA claimed silver and Trinidad and Tobago the bronze.

Britain's Mo Farah was also celebrating on an amazing night, having earlier joined an elite list of athletes to complete the Olympic long-distance double by backing up his 10,000m title with the 5000m crown.

Russia's Mariya Savinova produced a perfectly-timed race to claim gold in the women's 800m, beating former world champion Caster Semenya by more than a second, while Trinidad and Tobago's Keshorn Walcott was the winner of the men's Javelin Throw and Russia's Anna Chicherova claimed High Jump gold.

The most emphatic win of the night came in the women's 4 x 400m Relay as the USA stormed to gold, with the quartet of DeeDee Trotter, Allyson Felix, Francena McCorory and Sanya Richards-Ross leading from start to finish to beat Russia by almost three-and-a-half seconds. Jamaica claimed the bronze medal.

In the men’s Olympic Football final, Mexico secured arguably the greatest triumph in their history by winning London 2012 gold with a 2-1 win over Brazil at Wembley Stadium.

Oribe Peralta wrote his name into Mexican folklore with a double against the five-time world champions, who many believed were destined finally to end their agonising wait for Olympic Games glory.

At Eton Dorney, New Zealand's Lisa Carrington stormed to gold in the women's Kayak Singles (K1) 200m. Making her Olympic debut, Carrington left experienced European kayakers trailing in her wake as she cruised home ahead of Ukrainian Inna Osypenko-Radomska and Hungarian Natasa Douchev-Janics.

Ukrainian Yuri Cheban took gold in the men's Canoe Single (C1) 200m and the Russian pair of Yury Postrigay and Alexander Dyachenko won the men's Kayak Double (K2) 200m sprint.

The home fans also had something to cheer as Britain's Ed McKeever powered home to claim the men's Kayak Single (K1) 200m.

Russia's Sergey Kirdyapkin won the 50km Race Walk in an Olympic record time.

The former world champion finished in 3:35.59, almost a minute clear of Australia's Jared Tallent, who took silver for the second Games in succession, with China's Si Tianfeng claiming bronze.

The women's 20km Race walk title went to Russia's Elena Lashmanova in a new world record time of 1:25.02.

France claimed a 10th gold medal as Julie Bresset cruised to victory in the women's Cross-country Mountain Bike at Hadleigh Farm. World Under-23 champion Bresset led from the gun and triumphed in 1:30.52.

Russia's Evgeniya Kanaeva became the first rhythmic gymnast to defend an Olympic title after she won gold with a series of breathtaking performances in the Individual All-Round final at Wembley Arena.

Kanaeva was in a class of her own as she scored 116.900 to retain her title, ahead of fellow Russian Daria Dmitrieva (114.500) in silver with Liubou Charkashyna of Belarus (111.700) taking bronze.

Tamara Echegoyen-skippered Spain surprised favourites Australia to win gold in the women's Elliot 6m Match Racing class - the last Sailing medal of London 2012.

Australia twice recovered from going behind in the best-of-five series, but Echegoyen, Sofia Toro and Angela Pumariega went on to ensure Spain topped the podium.

Brazil retained their Olympic Volleyball title courtesy of a fine performance against the USA. In a repeat of the Beijing 2008 showpiece, the South Americans once again got the better of their arch-rivals, seeing them off 3-1.

Artur Taymazov cemented his place in Freestyle Wrestling history after he beat Davit Modzmanashvili to win his third successive gold in the 120kg class.

Taymazov, who also has a silver from Sydney, defeated the Georgian 1-0 1-0 to become the only wrestler in history to win three gold medals.

Jan Philipp Rabente was the unlikely hero as he scored twice as Germany successfully defended their Olympic men's Hockey title with victory over the Netherlands.

American David Boudia won the 10m Platform Diving final, edging out former world champion Qiu Bo and home hope Tom Daley while David Svoboda clinched the Modern Pentathlon crown.

Elsewhere, the USA beat France to win the women's Basketball title 86-50.

Milica Mandic claimed Serbia's first Taekwondo Olympic gold when she beat Anne-Caroline Graffe of France 9-7 in the women's + 67kg final.

The men’s +80kg gold was won by Rome policeman Carlo Molfetta on judges' decision after a classic final against Anthony Obame, whose silver was a first Olympic medal for Gabon.

China's Zou Shiming became the first man to retain the Light Fly Weight Olympic Boxing title, claiming victory in the gold-medal match against Thailand's Kaeo Pongprayoon.

Great Britain's Luke Campbell claimed the Bantam Weight title with victory over Ireland's John Joe Nevin, while Ukrainian top seed Oleksandr Usyk claimed the prestigious Heavy Weight gold after seeing off the committed Italian Clemente Russo.

Japanese Middle Weight Ryota Murata edged a close final against Brazil's Esquiva Falcao Florentino 14-13.

MJ Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Mod on Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:49 am

Boudia edges out rivals to claim gold
11 August 2012

David Boudia produced an impressive display to claim gold for the USA in tonight's 10m Platform Diving final.

Great Britain's Tom Daley led by 0.15 points from world champion Qiu Bo and Boudia heading into the final dive.

But while Daley won a single score of 10 for his final back dive, it was lower on difficulty than his rivals to allow Boudia to clinch victory.

Qiu finished with the silver, while Daley walked away with the bronze.

MJ Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Mod on Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:53 am

Brazil retain title after thrilling final
11 August 2012

Brazil retained their Olympic women's Volleyball title courtesy of a simply brilliant final performance against the USA at Earls Court.

In a repeat of the Beijing 2008 showpiece, the South Americans once again got the better of their arch-rivals, seeing them off by the same 3-1 score that was good enough four years ago.

As a result, the USA's wait for Volleyball gold goes on - this was their 10th failed attempt.

The USA started the final as the in-form team, with front-row pairing Foluke Akinradewo and Destinee Hooker virtually unplayable in their games so far, one of which was a 3-1 win over Brazil in the group stages.

And they began tonight in that manner, threatening to overpower Brazil as they stormed to the opening set in just 21 minutes.

Somehow, though, Brazil used the end-of-set break to completely transform themselves, returning to the court to produce the most devastating spell of Volleyball any side has produced throughout the 37 games that had preceded this one.
Their attack became virtually unplayable owing to its speed, and with Hooker shut down and restricted to a tournament-low 14 points, they stormed to victory, proving coach Roberto Guimaraes was not wrong when he said he had learned the lessons of the round-robin defeat.

'This is a wonderful feeling,' said Brazil coach Jose Roberto Guimaraes afterwards.

'For me, the US were the favourites before this match. We played very well tactically.

'After the second set we really played wonderful. We were serving well and we didn't make mistakes on reception.'

Earlier, Japan took the bronze medal by securing a straight-sets success over Republic of Korea.

Masayoshi Manabe's side displayed a greater appetite from the first point as they wrapped up a first Games podium finish since 1984.

MJ Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Mod on Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:55 am

High five as USA women take title
11 August 2012

The USA women's team extended their own record as they won a fifth straight Basketball gold medal by beating France 86-50.

Candace Parker dominated France, scoring 21 points and 11 rebounds, and capitalising on key mistakes as the USA effectively wrapped up victory early in the third quarter.
The four golds the USA had won between 1996 and 2008 were already a record not only in Basketball but in any women's team sport at the Olympics.

This was their 41st straight victory in Olympic competition, a run that stretches back to the Barcelona 1992 bronze-medal game against Cuba.

Tamika Catchings, Diana Taurasi and Sue Bird all collected their third straight gold medal, and were greeted with a standing ovation from their team-mates when coach Geno Auriemma took them out of the game together inside the final two minutes.
France, playing in only their second Olympics and secure in the knowledge of at least silver, kept pace through the first quarter until the arrival into the game of Florence Lepron, who appeared unsettled, committing three quick turnovers which the USA took back for six points.

That helped to spark an 11-2 run that gave the USA a 22-15 lead early in the second quarter.

France did not go away, as Sandrine Gruda hit a pair of free throws, then stole the ball from Taurasi to add a lay-up.

They had a chance to cut the deficit to two following Celice Dumerc's steal, but Emilie Gomis missed her lay-up and Gruda could not make either of two follow-ups as France wasted valuable offensive rebounds.

For the USA, Parker was having no such trouble, turning three successive offensive rebounds into six points as they pulled away to lead 37-25 at half-time.

The teams traded blows to start the second half but France were missing chances to close the gap as they struggled at the rim.

After Gruda could only split her free throws, Taurasi made a jump shot and Bird scored a three to make it 50-32.

The game only got worse for France as Endene Miyem limped out late in the third quarter and the USA kept the points coming in the midst of a 19-0 streak.

Parker made it a 20-point game, 52-32, and when Tina Charles split a pair of free throws late in the third quarter the gap hit 30.

Bird finished with 11 points for the USA, while Gruda and Edwige Lawson-Wade led France with 12 apiece.

Earlier, Australia beat Russia 83-74 to claim the bronze medal.

MJ Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Mod on Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:57 am

Norway retain Handball crown
11 August 2012

Norway have retained their Olympic Games title in the women's Handball competition after edging a thrilling final against Montenegro 26-23 at the Basketball Arena tonight.

The Scandinavians, who topped the podium at the Beijing 2008 Games, were slow starters in the tournament, struggling in the early stages, but they saved their best until last and emerged triumphant in a tight match, inspired by Linn Jorum Sulland's 10 goals.

It continues their domination of the women's game as the gold medal at London 2012 adds to the European and World Championships Thorir Hergeirsson's side have won over the last 18 months.

Katarina Bulatovic almost single-handedly kept Montenegro in the game with 10 goals, taking her tally to a superb 53 for the tournament, but it was in a losing cause.

Earlier in the day, Spain claimed bronze by edging out the Republic of Korea 31-29 after double extra-time.

The Europeans, whose previous best-placed finish at the Games was sixth in Athens eight years ago, were on course for a comfortable win midway through the second half, leading by four goals, but a strong Korean fightback forced extra-time with the score tied at 24-24.

After nothing could separate the two teams after the first period of two five-minute halves, another one was forced and Spain finally got the win when Jessica Alonso threw in with 10 seconds remaining to give them a decisive two-goal advantage.

MJ Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Mod on Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:59 am

Kirdyapkin walks off with gold
11 August 2012

Russia's Sergey Kirdyapkin today won the gold medal in the men's 50km Race Walk in an Olympic record time.

The former world champion finished in 3:35:59, almost a minute clear of Australia's Jared Tallent, who took silver for the second Games in succession, with China's Si Tianfeng claiming bronze.

Ireland's Robert Heffernan was fourth in a national record of 3:37.54, just holding off Russia's Igor Erokhin on the line as both athletes were given the same time.

Si looked on course for victory when he wiped out a 20-second deficit and went clear of the field at the 35km mark, but when he faded Kirdyapkin took over at the front and was never in danger of being caught.

MJ Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Mod on Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:00 am

Preview: Final day promises to be golden
12 August 2012

The London 2012 Olympic Games come to an end with a star-studded Closing Ceremony, but there are still 15 gold medals to be handed out before the festivities commence.

The North Greenwich Arena is set to be one of the hottest tickets in town as the USA's 'Dream Team' bring the curtain down on the men’s Basketball competition with a final against Spain.

The Spaniards start as underdogs having lost two games during the group stage, while their USA counterparts are unbeaten.

The Host Nation’s focus will be on the ExCeL, where Fred Evans and Anthony Joshua will be hoping to follow in the footsteps of Nicola Adams by claiming a gold medal in the Boxing ring.

Welshman Evans meets two-time world champion Serik Sapiyev of Kazakhstan in the Welter Weight division, before Joshua takes on Italy’s Roberto Cammarelle in the Super Heavy Weight gold medal bout.

There is also British interest in the women’s Modern Pentathlon, where Mhairi Spence and Samantha Murray could find themselves among the medals but face stiff competition from event favourite Lena Schoneborn of Germany.

Russia will be hoping to avenge their pool-stage defeat to Brazil as they meet the South Americans in the final of the men’s Volleyball, while Sweden will aim to do the same to France as the men’s Handball competition reaches its climax.

Croatia take an unbeaten record into the final of the men’s Water Polo where they are set to meet Italy, whose only Games defeat so far came against their gold medal opponents.

Kenya and Ethiopia have the opportunity to get their hands on gold as they look set to dominate the men’s Marathon, with Wilson Kipsang Kiprotich and Ayele Abshero among the favourites to take top spot on the podium in the race around the streets of London.

In the men’s Cross-country Mountain Bike race, Switzerland’s Nino Schurter will be hoping to live up to his status as one of the event’s leading riders by cycling to victory at Hadleigh Farm, while France’s Julien Absalon aims to add to the gold won by compatriot Julie Bresset in the women’s competition.

The final day of competition also sees the conclusion of the Rhythmic Gymnastics and Wrestling programmes, before athletes and spectators flood to the Olympic Stadium to see the Games brought to a close in spectacular fashion.

MJ Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Mod on Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:48 pm

DAY 16 (AUGUST 12) RECAP
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FINAL MEDAL COUNT!

1. United States- 104 medals: 46 gold 29 silver 29 bronze
2. China- 87 medals: 38 gold 27 silver 22 bronze
3. Russia- 82 medals: 24 gold 25 silver 33 bronze

~

Review: 'Dream Team' end the dream Games
12 August 2012

As the curtain fell on London 2012, the USA overcame some fierce resistance from Spain to land their fifth Basketball gold in the six Olympic Games since the start of the 'Dream Team' era on a gripping final day of action.

It was the closest Basketball final since the USSR beat the USA 51-50, 40 years ago.

Kevin Durant scored 30 points to lead the USA, while LeBron James had 19 and Kobe Bryant 17 as the USA ran out 107-100 winners in front of the likes of Arnold Schwarzenegger, Boris Johnson, David Beckham and Henry Kissinger.

Russia snatched the bronze away from Argentina as they triumphed 81-77 in the dramatic final seconds of the third-place play-off.

Earlier, Uganda's Stephen Kiprotich stunned the Kenyan challenge to clinch a surprise gold medal in the Marathon on The Mall.

The 23-year-old burst past Abel Kirui and Wilson Kipsang around the 38km mark to leave his two rivals trailing and claim only Uganda's second-ever Olympic gold in Athletics.

Kiprotich followed in the footsteps of his compatriot John Akii-Bua, who was 400m Hurdles champion 40 years ago, and crossed the line in 2:08:01.

Kirui took the silver, 26 seconds adrift, and long-time leader Kipsang finished with the bronze.

Russia became the first team in the history of men’s Olympic Volleyball to win the final from two sets down as they stunned Brazil at Earls Court.

For the best part of three sets the Europeans looked a shadow of the side that had demolished Bulgaria in the semis and Brazil picked points at will to lead 2-0 and 22-19.

But Russia then embarked on one of the most staggering comebacks the sport has seen to win 19-25 20-25 29-27 25-22 15-9 and wrap up a fourth Olympic title.

France also created history in the men’s Handball after becoming the first country to retain the Olympic title following a nervy 22-21 victory against Sweden.

France, who won gold at Beijing 2008 and are also reigning world champions, survived a late Scandinavian comeback to seal their place as the greatest team of all time.

Croatia secured their first men’s Water Polo Olympic gold medal with an 8-6 victory over Italy.

The Balkan outfit have been the outstanding side of the London 2012 tournament, with eight wins from eight matches, and end it as worthy champions.

Ukraine's Vasyl Lomachenko won his second Boxing title after outclassing Soonchul Han in the men's Light Weight final at the ExCeL.

The champion from the now-defunct Feather Weight division, regarded by some as the world's best amateur, romped to a 19-9 victory over his Republic of Korea opponent.

Cuba's Robeisy Ramirez Carrazana was earlier crowned Fly Weight champion after beating Tugstsogt Nyambayar.

Carrazana, 18, won by a score of 17-14 over his older Mongolian opponent in what was an exciting contest.

Kazakhstan's Serik Sapiyev claimed the Welter Weight crown with a 17-9 win over home favourite Fred Evans.

Russia's Egor Mekhontcev took Light Heavy Weight gold after the tightest contest possible against Kazakhstan's Adilbek Niyazymbetov.

The bout was scored 15-15 and the fighters could not even be separated by countback, with Mekhontcev winning courtesy of the judges’ individual preference.

The final bout of the Olympic Boxing competition had those in the ExCeL on their feet as Britain's Anthony Joshua survived an Italian appeal to beat defending Super Heavy Weight champion Roberto Cammarelle on countback.

Japan won their first male Wrestling gold in 24 years as Tatsuhiro Yonemitsu defeated India's Sushil Kumar in the final of the 66kg Freestyle.

Kumar, a railway worker from Delhi, was looking to become India's first-ever Olympic champion wrestler, but Yonemitsu overcame him 1-0 3-1 to record a historic win for Japan at the ExCeL.
Jake Varner of the United States took the 96kg men's Freestyle title.

Russia won their fourth consecutive gold in the Rhythmic Gymnastics Group competition after two stunning performances in the final at Wembley Arena.

The final piece of Gymnastics action at London 2012 did not disappoint, with Russia scoring 28.700 in their five balls routine before 28.300 with the ribbons and hoops earned them a total of 57.000 to retain their title. Belarus (55.500) won silver ahead of Italy (55.450) in bronze.

The final gold medal of the London 2012 Games went to Lithuania courtesy of Laura Asadauskaite in the Modern Pentathlon. Britain’s Samantha Murray finished second ahead of Brazil’s Yane Marques.

With the sport complete, attention then turned to the spectacular Closing Ceremony, as the world bid farewell to London 2012 - a truly memorable Olympic Games.

MJ Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:32 pm

@MJ MOD: I want to take this opportunity to thank you so much again for this exhaustive coverage you have done for us on this XXX Olympiad! You have done an excellent job and I for one thoroughly enjoyed each day of the Olympics especially knowing whatever I missed actually watching of whatever specific event-I could come here and see what happened-

You did a tremendous job for us all!

Razz Razz
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top