MJ's L.O.V.E. Is Magical

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MJ's L.O.V.E. Is Magical
MJ's L.O.V.E. Is Magical
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jackson Case: Psychologist Says False Abuse Claims Rare

Go down

Jackson Case: Psychologist Says False Abuse Claims Rare Empty Jackson Case: Psychologist Says False Abuse Claims Rare

Post by Admin Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:37 pm

Jackson Case: Psychologist Says False Abuse Claims Rare

A psychologist who interviewed the boy accusing Michael Jackson of child molestation testified that it would be "extremely rare" for a 12- or 13-year-old to make a false charge.

Stan J. Katz, one of the prosecution's key witnesses, was the first person to tell authorities about claims that Jackson molested a 13-year-old boy. He was prohibited by Judge Rodney Melville from testifying directly about the credibility of Jackson's accuser or whether he believes the molestation occurred.

However, Katz told jurors yesterday (March 30) that children over 5 rarely fabricate claims of molestation. He also said he interviewed the accuser, his brother and sister after they went to attorney Larry Feldman, who handled a claim against the pop star in the early 1990s.

Katz said accusers who appear to be truthful sometimes change their stories and embellish or exaggerate, while "children who make false allegations are usually consistent, almost scripted." Jackson's defense has noted inconsistencies in testimony by the accuser and his brother.

Under cross-examination, Katz acknowledged he has done no research on civil suits involving teenagers in abuse cases, but later testified, "I don't recall any adolescent or preadolescent making claims for profit." Jackson, 46, is accused of molesting the boy in 2003 and plying him with alcohol.

Earlier in the day, a flight attendant testified the boy once showed off an expensive watch the singer gave him and boasted that Jackson would buy him anything. Cynthia Bell said the conversation took place in 2003 during a Miami-to-California flight with Jackson and members of the boy's family.

"He was saying things like, 'Look at what Michael got me,' and, 'These are very expensive watches,'" Bell said. "He did say, 'Michael bought this watch for me and he'll buy me anything.'"

Prosecutors contend the watch was a bribe to keep the boy from revealing that Jackson gave him alcohol. The defense contends the boy and his family were out to bilk Jackson. They have portrayed the molestation charges as a shakedown attempt.

Bell also testified that she served Jackson wine in a Diet Coke can but did not see the boy drink from it, as the prosecution says happened.

Also testifying was attorney William Dickerman, who was contacted by the accuser's family in February 2003 and wrote letters to Jackson's then-lawyer, Mark Geragos, claiming the family was being subjected to surveillance and harassment by Jackson associates.

He acknowledged on cross-examination that he never mentioned allegations of molestation, false imprisonment or giving wine to children in his letters. Dickerman said he eventually referred the case to another attorney, Larry Feldman, with whom he has a fee-sharing arrangement that would give him part of any reward obtained in a civil suit.

Defense attorney Thomas Mesereau Jr. repeatedly implied that the family went to Dickerman because they were after money, but the witness denied that. "I never made a demand for money for the [family] for any purpose under the sun," Dickerman said.

Testimony is expected to resume tomorrow; the trial will recess today in observance of the Cesar Chavez state holiday.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down