MJ's L.O.V.E. Is Magical

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MJ's L.O.V.E. Is Magical
MJ's L.O.V.E. Is Magical
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2014 Winter Olympics start February 6 in Sochi Russia

+2
MjjPureSoul
Admin
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

2014 Winter Olympics start February 6 in Sochi Russia Empty 2014 Winter Olympics start February 6 in Sochi Russia

Post by Admin Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:39 pm

So the 2014 Winter Olympics start February 6 in Sochi Russia. We can post everything here ~

Here is the link to the schedule in USA time:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

TV listing page:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is the 2014 Ralph Lauren opening ceremony uniform- what do you think?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I don't think that is the way to go myself.

Last edited by Admin on Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

2014 Winter Olympics start February 6 in Sochi Russia Empty Re: 2014 Winter Olympics start February 6 in Sochi Russia

Post by MjjPureSoul Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:26 pm

I love! the WO and can't wait for it next month. My favourite sports are the Luge, Bob, Skeleton and Ski jump. As for the RL opening ceremony outfit, Admin, I quite like it  Wink What don't you like about it?
MjjPureSoul
MjjPureSoul

Back to top Go down

2014 Winter Olympics start February 6 in Sochi Russia Empty Re: 2014 Winter Olympics start February 6 in Sochi Russia

Post by Admin Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:45 pm

IDK they look like ugly Christmas sweaters lol. The worst then is the pants with those shoes! DARK pants people! (and sport shoes-those look like ski boots).
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MjjPureSoul Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:57 pm

Yeah..I can see what you mean about the sweaters looking a bit Christmassy, I just took another look. I agree that the pants are too light, maybe mottled grey or a wine colour would be more practical. The boots looking like ski boots I think that's just to go with the whole winter theme. I'd have chosen another colour for those too for example the same colour as the pants.

What would you have chosen?  Wink 
MjjPureSoul
MjjPureSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by Capricious Anomaly Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:03 pm

For me I would go black pants to downplay the sweater-actually that sweater would look way better then imo. Those clodhoppers on their feet-I have no idea what that is. They look so clunky lol

Capricious Anomaly
Capricious Anomaly

Back to top Go down

Post by WeAreTheWorld. Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:23 pm

I LOVE the sweaters and the shoes- pants not so much, I think red ones would be better personally. I'm not too big into the winter olys, but I do love watching the snowboarding and on occasion curling lol.
WeAreTheWorld.
WeAreTheWorld.

Back to top Go down

Post by midangerous Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:52 pm

I can't wait for the Olympics! I luv watching figure skating. IMO, I think those uniforms have got too much color on them.
midangerous
midangerous

Back to top Go down

Post by midangerous Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:54 pm

midangerous
midangerous

Back to top Go down

Post by ijustcan'tstoplovinguMJ Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:33 pm

I think the outfit is interesting, maybe could have been better. My mom and I aren't really into soprts but when it comes to the winter Olympics we can't get enough!!
ijustcan'tstoplovinguMJ
ijustcan'tstoplovinguMJ

Back to top Go down

Post by MjjPureSoul Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:44 pm

Wow  Laughing varied choices here for us fashionisters. You'll see, after the Olympics have finished those outfits will be for sale on Ebay LOL

I don't know why they didn't just choose to wear the good old faithful Spyder jackets & trouse. Spyder is my favouite winter brand.

Curling lol! That's where they go along with a type of sweeper brush isn't it?  Wink 
MjjPureSoul
MjjPureSoul

Back to top Go down

2014 Winter Olympics start February 6 in Sochi Russia Empty Sochi squalor: Journalists report hotel horror stories as Russians scramble to finish construction

Post by Admin Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:43 pm

Sochi squalor: Journalists report hotel horror stories as Russians scramble to finish construction
FoxNews.com

February 05, 2014

Sportswriters from around the world have begun cataloguing a litany of accommodation-related woes in Sochi, Russia as organizers scramble to finish the construction of some hotels three days before the Opening Ceremony of the Winter Olympics, and two days before some competitions get underway.

Journalists have been trickling into the Black Sea resort town all week ahead of the most expensive Winter Olympics in history. Russia has spent $51 billion making all ready for the 17 days of competition, but organizers admitted earlier last week that three of the nine media hotels were not completed.

Stacy St. Clair @StacyStClair
My hotel has no water. If restored, the front desk says, "do not use on your face because it contains something very dangerous." #Sochi2014

Stacy St. Clair @StacyStClair
Water restored, sorta. On the bright side, I now know what very dangerous face water looks like. #Sochi #unfiltered

The Guardian's Moscow bureau chief Shaun Walker reported that when he tried to check into his room at midday Tuesday, he was told by a receptionist, "Your room is still under construction. They are literally finishing, the keys are literally coming now." Three hours later, Walker reported the same receptionist offered him a different room "with no heating, a single bed, and permeated with the [odor] of industrial glue."

Even those who have managed to get rooms have found the amenities less than ideal, as Chicago Tribune reporter Stacy St. Clair tweeted.

Canadian sports columnist Bruce Arthur wrote, "Almost every room is missing something: lightbulbs, TVs, lamps, chairs, curtains, wifi, heat, hot water. Shower curtains are a valuable piece of the future black market here. (One American photographer was simply told, 'You will not get a shower curtain.')"

Early Wednesday morning, around 4 a.m. local time, Wall Street Journal reporter Brian Costa said a stranger opened his hotel room door to peek inside, but quickly vanished without saying a word.

And Kevin Bishop, BBC's Moscow bureau chief, tweeted that the reception area of his hotel didn't have its floor done, but it did have a picture of Russian President Vladimir Putin.

At a news conference Monday, International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach insisted that Sochi was ready to stage the Winter Olympics despite concerns over terrorism carried out by Islamic militants from the restive North Caucuses region neighboring the city, unfinished construction, and human rights caused by Russia's now-infamous law against "homosexual propaganda."

Russian news agencies on Wednesday also reported that Putin delivered a similar message, quoting him as saying "Russia is ready to host the games."

However, as Arthur noted "[W]hat we have is a sea of little failures that give rise to the spectre of bigger ones. The Boston Globe drove a local car within a couple hundred feet of the Main Press Centre Tuesday, which is a proximity unthinkable in previous Olympics."

For now, however, most will settle for the creature comforts. As Yahoo Sports hockey writer Nick Cotsonika tweeted:

Nick Cotsonika ✔ @cotsonika
I visited the Soviet Union in 1991. Then, I could take a shower in my hotel. In Sochi now? Nyet.

Let the Games begin.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

2014 Winter Olympics start February 6 in Sochi Russia Empty Shaun White bows out of Sochi Olympics slopestyle contest

Post by Admin Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:52 pm

Shaun White bows out of Sochi Olympics slopestyle contest by AP

2/5/14

KRASNAYA POLYANA, Russia - Shaun White pulled out of the Olympic slopestyle contest Wednesday, about 24 hours after being banged up on a course that riders are criticizing as unduly harsh.

White issued a statement, saying that after much deliberation, he has decided to forgo the new snowboarding event and concentrate on halfpipe, where he will try for his third straight gold medal next week.

"With the practice runs I have taken, even after course modifications and watching fellow athletes get hurt, the potential risk of injury is a bit too much for me to gamble my other Olympics goals on," White said.

Considered among the favorites of the new events on the Sochi Olympics schedule, White jammed his left wrist during practice Tuesday, and when he came off the slopestyle course, he called it "a little intimidating."

White's stunning decision - withdrawing from an event added to the program in part to increase his exposure on the world's biggest stage - is yet another blow for the still-to-start Sochi Games, which have been wracked by security threats, political fighting and the loss of at least one other headliner, injured American skier Lindsey Vonn.

Slopestyle is a speed-packed trip down the mountain, filled with rails, bumps and, most notably, steeply angled jumps that allow riders to flip two, sometimes three times, before landing. White hurt his wrist on one of the takeoff ramps, which one top rider, Canadian Mark McMorris, said were built "kind of obnoxiously tall."

White has been dealing with a number of nagging injuries during a winter in which he was one of the few riders trying to compete in both events. The wrist added to a list that includes his shoulder and ankle, both injured during qualifying events for the U.S. team.

His focus will now solely be on next Tuesday's contest in the halfpipe, which is essentially a hollowed-out ice shell with 22-foot (7-meter) sidewalls. There is danger there, but unlike slopestyle, it's based mostly on the types of head-over-heels tricks the riders try and not the setup of the pipe.

In a news conference about an hour before he gave first word of his decision to the "Today" show, White was asked whether halfpipe was more important to him.

"For me, I definitely feel the halfpipe carries a bit more weight, a bit more pressure. I guess that's fair enough to say," he said.

He is trying to become the first male American to win three straight golds in the Winter Games.

White deemed his jammed wrist as nothing serious and said reports about it were overblown. But he said there remained serious issues with the slopestyle course.

"There are definitely concerns about the course," he said. "It's been interesting to see how it's developed and changed over the past couple days. The big question is if it will continue to change. Because every day, they have riders meetings and they give feedback. Sometimes there's changes, sometimes there's not

Reaction came from several corners, not all of them positive.

"Mr. White... It's easy to find excuses to pull out of a contest when you think you can't win," Canadian rider Sebastian Toutant tweeted.

White's prospects for slopestyle were uncertain, at best. He's the five-time Winter X Games champion, though he more or less gave up the event about six years ago to focus solely on the halfpipe. But he hurt his ankle on the halfpipe in the season's first Olympic qualifier, then bashed his shoulder during a nasty fall in slopestyle about a month later.

He pulled out of events, changed his mind about the X Games - considered the biggest snowboarding event outside of the Olympics - a few times before skipping that, as well. In all, it has been a hectic lead-up period as he tried to juggle both events, and it didn't stop once he reached Russia. The slopestyle final is set for Saturday, which would cost him the first day of practice on the halfpipe.

"It's tough juggling both events," White said during the news conference. "Definitely not easy. It's something that's been talked about quite a bit. Losing a day of practice is a serious thing, especially with a new course and the challenges I'd face in slopestyle."

He said watching the injuries pile up on the course didn't build much confidence.

Another top rider, Torstein Horgmo of Norway, was forced out after breaking his collarbone during practice Monday. On Tuesday, Finnish rider Marika Enne was carted off the course with a concussion.

Many riders said the dangers of the course were being overblown - "There's no way this course is too dangerous," American Sage Kotsenburg said.

Others, however, admitted they were having a tough time.

"It's a little intense, a little challenging," said American rider Jamie Anderson, a gold-medal favorite on the women's side. "The jumps are still a little weird. I'm having a questionable time getting used to them. But I'm just being slow, patient, taking them one jump at a time."

American Nick Goepper, a favorite in the skiing version of slopestyle, was surprised by White's news.

"He's a notable person and he probably would have brought more viewers to slopestyle," Goepper said. "But it opens the door for other athletes, and if anything, it means he's going to come back in four years and be even more prepared for slopestyle."

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:03 pm

Here is the link to the schedule in USA time:

TV listing page:
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MjjPureSoul Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:43 pm

Thanks for this information Admin. Although I'm looking forward to watching the WO this weekend I'm so frightened for the competitors and everyone else involved. Even though the army are responsible for the safety/security - it's still going to be a white knuckle experience being there in Russia with all that's going on. I can't see the games going through the 3 weeks without something terrible happening. It's just so dicey there. I hope I'm going to be wrong though.
MjjPureSoul
MjjPureSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by Capricious Anomaly Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:49 pm

Leave it to Putin to have a messed up situation for the Americans too. I just heard that a sponsor of the USA team (Chobani yogurt) had ALL the American team's food from that company denied entrance into Russia. So all that food is sitting in a NY harbor rotting away and our athletes won't get that food. WTH is that?

They have terrible accommodations for the American tourists with hygiene at the top of the list. They can't even make it clean and safe. No lights-doorknobs-locks and no water or when they have it - it is disgusting sludge! They are making a lot of USD on this too. I call BS on them!

To not have safety at the top of the list on the slopes competition is another BS problem. All the reports of athletes getting really injured already! I think this Olympics needs to be canceled and a boycott on them should happen. At least postpone it until Russia gets their act together. What other country has ever allowed this to happen? They had FOUR years to get this done!
Capricious Anomaly
Capricious Anomaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:01 pm

I hope all will be safe too PureSoul!

@Capricious: I agree that it is really suspect how this is all unfolding. I guess we have to see what all happens-if it is proven that the Americans are being treated differently from other countries-there will be a HUGE uproar. Holding back the USA team's foods is really BS. ITA!

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by midangerous Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:28 pm

Does anyone know when the opening ceremonies start? I thought I heard it will be on the 7th here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
midangerous
midangerous

Back to top Go down

Post by ijustcan'tstoplovinguMJ Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:35 pm

It comes on this Friday at 6:30 I think
ijustcan'tstoplovinguMJ
ijustcan'tstoplovinguMJ

Back to top Go down

Post by midangerous Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:16 pm

It comes on fri at 7:30pm ET 6:30 CT on NBC.
midangerous
midangerous

Back to top Go down

Post by Capricious Anomaly Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:33 pm

I'm using the links admin posted to get the schedule and times. Wink
Capricious Anomaly
Capricious Anomaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:52 pm

The Olympics start at 7:30pm PST on NBC tonight.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Capricious Anomaly Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:04 pm

"The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Capricious Anomaly
Capricious Anomaly

Back to top Go down

Post by ijustcan'tstoplovinguMJ Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:20 pm

Watching them now!! Just saw some ice skating, AMAZING!!
ijustcan'tstoplovinguMJ
ijustcan'tstoplovinguMJ

Back to top Go down

Post by midangerous Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:30 am

I've got the games recorded!  Smile 
midangerous
midangerous

Back to top Go down

Post by Capricious Anomaly Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:35 am

Japanese skater doing the Men's short program was awesome!
Capricious Anomaly
Capricious Anomaly

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:45 pm

I saw that too-amazing skate! Too bad the US skater was all nerved up. Anyone watch the Slopestyle riders? I watched a few of the women. They were great too.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MjjPureSoul Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:20 pm

We have a local guy competing in this Admin  Smile We have a proud county right now.
MjjPureSoul
MjjPureSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:27 pm

That's great! What's his name and sport?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MjjPureSoul Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:54 pm

Jamie Nicholls, he lives just 22 miles from my area. He does Slopestyle and he got 6th place LOL!. Not good enough to get bronze this time. Never mind.

I'm loving watching the games so far. How about you?  Smile It makes me horribly jealous wishing could have been a competitor in younger days. Did you see that Japanese ski jumper age 45? I think he's the oldest to compete in these games, but he was brilliant. Love the bobsleigh which is yet to come  Wink 
MjjPureSoul
MjjPureSoul

Back to top Go down

Post by midangerous Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:01 am

Wow cool!
midangerous
midangerous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next