MJ's L.O.V.E. Is Magical

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MJ's L.O.V.E. Is Magical
MJ's L.O.V.E. Is Magical
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"This Day In HIStory" March 5, 2009 ~ MJ Announces His 'This Is It' Tour.

3 posters

Go down

"This Day In HIStory" March 5, 2009 ~ MJ Announces His 'This Is It' Tour. Empty "This Day In HIStory" March 5, 2009 ~ MJ Announces His 'This Is It' Tour.

Post by MJ Mod Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:05 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Michael Jackson announces 10-concert comeback

3/5/2009
By: Cesar G. Soriano

Excerpt:

LONDON — Michael Jackson will perform 10 concerts in London this summer in a thrilling comeback aimed at restoring his King of Pop crown.

The singer made a rare public appearance Thursday to deliver the news to more than 1,500 screaming fans. Wearing a military-style embroidered black shirt with a sequined armband, black trousers and sunglasses, a healthy-looking Jackson spoke in a strong voice as he said the July shows would be his final performances. It was unclear whether he was announcing his retirement from live entertainment.

"This is it. These will be my final shows in London. This is it. I mean it, because, I don't know," Jackson said without elaborating.

"I will be performing the songs my fans want to hear. … This is the final curtain call," Jackson said, followed by a chorus of boos from the crowd. After his brief comments, he thrust his right arm into the air several times, making a peace sign.

The gigs at the 20,000-seat O2 Arena, a residency billed as This Is It, begin July 8. Tickets will sell for $70, $92 and $105 and go on sale March 13. Fans can apply for presale tickets through a lottery at michaeljacksonlive.com.

"I love you so much. I really do. You have to know that," Jackson told his fans, many of them crying and holding banners and posters. "I'll see you in July."

Jackson, 50, has been known in recent years mostly for his eccentric behavior, changing appearance and faltering health. He has not toured since his 82-date HIStory world tour in 1996-97, which grossed $178 million. His last studio album was 2001's Invincible. A much-hyped concert at the 2006 World Music Awards in London ended in disappointment, with Jackson muttering just a few bars We Are the World. Several other comeback projects, including a Jackson 5 reunion, never materialized.

Though British bookmakers are placing bets that Jackson won't show up for his O2 concerts, the gigs may finally be the real deal. An official website was launched Monday, michaeljackson.com. Posters advertising the shows began appearing in London Underground stations several hours before his announcement.

"People will fly in from all over to see these shows," says Gary Bongiovanni, editor of the touring trade publication Pollstar. "Especially in Europe, where it's not that difficult to travel between countries." He expects the 10 shows to sell out in advance. "Success won't depend on whether it's a good show or not."

Some fans waited more than five hours for Jackson's two-minute appearance, which began 90 minutes late. Many of his most diehard fans were not even alive during Jackson's Thriller days.

"We grew up listening to him," says Iram Tariq, 20, of Greenwich. "We have to go see him. He's the only legend of our time who has attained that level of success."

Says Chloe Brown, 17, of London, "He's an icon, an inspiration." Friend Naomi Smith says she hopes to attend at least two of Jackson's O2 shows.

To see full article: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Video of MJ's announcement (MJ comes out at around 3:55): [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
MJ Mod
MJ Mod

Back to top Go down

"This Day In HIStory" March 5, 2009 ~ MJ Announces His 'This Is It' Tour. Empty Re: "This Day In HIStory" March 5, 2009 ~ MJ Announces His 'This Is It' Tour.

Post by midangerous Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:25 pm

I remember that day quite well.
midangerous
midangerous

Back to top Go down

"This Day In HIStory" March 5, 2009 ~ MJ Announces His 'This Is It' Tour. Empty Re: "This Day In HIStory" March 5, 2009 ~ MJ Announces His 'This Is It' Tour.

Post by Admin Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:00 pm

3/5
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down