MJ's L.O.V.E. Is Magical

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MJ's L.O.V.E. Is Magical
MJ's L.O.V.E. Is Magical
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"This Day in HIStory" November 13, 1989 ~ MJ Performed "You Were There"

5 posters

Go down

"This Day in HIStory" November 13, 1989 ~ MJ Performed "You Were There" Empty "This Day in HIStory" November 13, 1989 ~ MJ Performed "You Were There"

Post by MJ Mod Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:36 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Michael Jackson performs song "You Were There" (he wrote with Buz Kohan) for singer-entertainer Sammy Davis Jr., the first and only time, at the Sammy Davis Jr 6Oth Anniversary TV Special, musical gala honouring Davis Jr..

The event’s funds advantaging the "United Negro College Fund"; for the show's all-star finale, Jackson accompanies Ella Firzgerald and Eddie Murphy on stage.

The celebration started as a 60-minute show, and it wound up 2 1/2 hours long. It runs from 7:30 to 10 p.m. Sunday on ABC and Channel 13. And no wonder, given a cast that includes Frank Sinatra, Michael Jackson, Ella Fitzgerald, Whitney Houston, Clint Eastwood, Goldie Hawn, Bill Cosby, Stevie Wonder, Mike Tyson, Richard Pryor, Gregory Hines, Gregory Peck, Bob Hope, Shirley MacLaine, Debbie Allen, Magic Johnson, Dean Martin, Tony Danza, Jesse Jackson, Quincy Jones, Diahann Carroll, Dionne Warwick, Nell Carter, Lola Falana and Anita Baker. Eddie Murphy hosts, and even he seems subdued by the galaxy of stars he has to introduce.

Sammy’s right there in the front-row box with his wife and family. He laughs and he claps, he cries a little, and he hugs his friends. He even does a tap dance with Hines. But he never says a word.

He can’t. The night the show was taped, he couldn’t talk at all.

It doesn’t matter. His friends speak for him, and to him, in a language of love. They lay their talents at his feet. And a few terrific clip collections tell Sammy’s tale for him.

This is a one-of-a-kind TV spectacular in a spirit that few stars, even show-biz legends, could command.

Nobody knew what Jackson was going to do. "The night before the show, he and Buz Kohan, who wrote the script, went in the rehearsal hall and wrote a song," Schlatter said. "They arranged it overnight, and the night of the show was the first time he’d ever sung it. He wanted to sing something that really related to Sammy."

Backstage, everybody was watching everybody else. Fitzgerald wanted to meet Jackson; Cosby wanted to say hi to Hawn; Murphy wanted to see Sinatra.

The most nerve-racking moment of them all, though, was when Fitzgerald was to make her big onstage entrance, Schlatter said. “We had to have somebody bring her out, so I said to Eddie Murphy, `Take Ella onstage.’

And he says, `Man, I can’t take her. That’s Ella “Fitzgerald.”‘ And Eddie says to Michael Jackson, `Michael, you take her out.’ And Michael says, `I can’t! It’s “Ella.”‘ So I said, `Look, guys, why not take her together? OK?’

At the same date, Michael is reported to have hosted 50 children from "Maclaren Hall" and "Make A Wish Foundation" at his residence, while, via the "Wishes Granted" charity, 4-year-old Darian Pagan, suffering from leukemia, is granted the wish to meet the singer and is, additionally, invited to watch a performance by a group of Canadian acrobats with him.

MJ Mod
MJ Mod

Back to top Go down

"This Day in HIStory" November 13, 1989 ~ MJ Performed "You Were There" Empty Re: "This Day in HIStory" November 13, 1989 ~ MJ Performed "You Were There"

Post by Capricious Anomaly Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:57 pm

When you really look at the people in that picture it really brings you back to a wonderful time in OUR HIStory/HERstory, doesn't it?

Once again: KUDOS to our MJ Mod!! We need a new name - how about Magestical MJ Mod!! You do such a GREAT job on this thread every single day and I for one LOVE this so much!!

"This Day in HIStory" November 13, 1989 ~ MJ Performed "You Were There" 1334227947
Capricious Anomaly
Capricious Anomaly

Back to top Go down

"This Day in HIStory" November 13, 1989 ~ MJ Performed "You Were There" Empty Re: "This Day in HIStory" November 13, 1989 ~ MJ Performed "You Were There"

Post by MJ Mod Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:15 pm

Thanks Capricious A- I really enjoy doing these TDIHs
MJ Mod
MJ Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:49 pm

I agree Capricious! 'Magestical MJ Mod' lol - that was a good one-she does do a magical job for us!

MMJM: "This Day in HIStory" November 13, 1989 ~ MJ Performed "You Were There" 101009747
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:42 pm

Michael performs, 'You Were There,' a song especially written for Sammy by Michael and Buz Kohan and only ever performed on this one occasion. The show is a UNCF (United Negro College Fund) benefit.

Michael Jackson, Sammy Davis Jr Tribute - You Were There

The lyrics:

You were there, before we came.
You took the hurt, you took the shame.
They built the walls to block your way.
You beat them down.
You won the day.
It wasn't right, it wasn't fair.
You taught them all.
You made them care.
Yes, you were there, and thanks to you
There's now a door we all walk through.
And we are here, for all to see --
To be the best that we can be.
Yes, I am here....
Because you were there.

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:23 pm

God that YT tore me up today! MJ's angelic voice-just choked me up (again) SO beautiful!

"This Day in HIStory" November 13, 1989 ~ MJ Performed "You Were There" 2034332820 

Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Capricious Anomaly Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:27 pm

Me too admin. That is a wonderful song and singing it to Sammy-just beautiful!
Capricious Anomaly
Capricious Anomaly

Back to top Go down

Post by midangerous Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:00 pm

Pretty song!
midangerous
midangerous

Back to top Go down

Post by ljmissmj Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:58 pm

All those stars - I mean there's some heavy hitters in that group shot, but my eyes went to MJ first, really he has on a red shirt, lol! Michael is something else. I respect Sammy Davis, Jr. too, he was a pioneer at the height of his career, my parents turned me on to Sammy - the candy man ooooo the candy man can! He was the ultimate performer in his time (like Michael is now and forever shall be Smile , ya know it's sad but Sammy like Michael had a pretty tough road to stardom (meaning the media was pretty brutal to Sammy Davis as well), but once Sammy got his props he was the best of his time. Sammy. They have a similar story in a lot of ways. Michael studied the best and Sammy was one of them.. I think I see, Whitney, Dionne Warwick, Gregory Hines, etc some of the greatest in the entertainment industry in one picture, and the greatest of course is front and center. .. wow-- This is great day in history post, thanks!

Last edited by ljmissmj on Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
ljmissmj
ljmissmj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down