MJ's L.O.V.E. Is Magical

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MJ's L.O.V.E. Is Magical
MJ's L.O.V.E. Is Magical
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An impressive collection of San Diego musicians will salute Michael Jackson with a birthday concert-San Diego

Go down

An impressive collection of San Diego musicians will salute Michael Jackson with a birthday concert-San Diego Empty An impressive collection of San Diego musicians will salute Michael Jackson with a birthday concert-San Diego

Post by Admin Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:57 pm

A jazzy tribute to the King of Pop By Beth Wood SPECIAL TO THE U-T

An impressive collection of San Diego musicians will salute Michael Jackson with a birthday concert

August 25, 2012

Pop star Michael Jackson would have turned 54 this Wednesday, had it not been for his untimely death in 2009. His birthplace of Gary, Ind., is hosting a four-day gala in his honor.

You can save the airfare and skip the huge crowds by heading to the homegrown celebration of this enigmatic icon’s music on Tuesday at the Back Room@98 Bottles in Little Italy.

“The Michael Jackson Birthday Tribute Concert” is a jazzed-up journey through the King of Pop’s repertoire. The evening features a stellar group of local musicians: singer/trumpeter Teagan Taylor, pianist Ed Kornhauser, guitarist Nate Jarrell, bassist Harley Magsino and Leonard Patton on vocals and cajon, a boxlike percussion instrument from Peru.

Jarrell, Magsino and Patton have been selecting and arranging the songs for the tribute concert, with Patton coordinating the effort.

“We chose a good variety. A couple of songs are less familiar, but there are a bunch people will know,” said Patton, who earned his master’s degree in jazz studies at San Diego State University. “We are also doing pieces of Jackson’s songs as transitions. That’s a creative way to do more. It’s like, ‘I don’t have the whole cake, but here’s a little taste.’

“It’s been hugely successful because people love the tunes,” said Patton, who has previously done jazz-inspired tributes to The Beatles, Bob Marley and other pop legends. “It keeps the essence of the performer; the context and instrumentation is different and that’s intriguing in itself. I think people will appreciate Michael Jackson’s songs in this context.”

The Los Angeles-born Patton has lived in San Diego since he was 5 years old and began singing at a very young age. His father was a gospel singer and managed a female gospel group. Patton attended Mesa College in 1991 to study classical music, then started singing in the college’s big band. It was there he met acclaimed guitarist/producer Peter Sprague, starting a musical friendship that continues to thrive.

Patton became a vital member of the bustling San Diego music scene while attending Cal State San Marcos. He’s played with a who’s who of internationally known, locally based jazz greats, including Sprague, flutist Holly Hofmann and pianists Geoffrey Keezer and Mike Wofford. Keezer accompanies the singer on his excellent 2011 CD “Expressions,” co-produced by Patton and Sprague.

Also a musical theater performer, Patton is currently in the ensemble cast of “miXtape,” a production of Lamb’s Players Theatre. The popular 1980s music revue at the Horton Grand Theatre is now in its third year.

The Jackson tribute reunites Patton with accomplished young trumpeter and singer Teagan Taylor, who was a student in a couple of Patton’s vocal jazz ensemble classes at SDSU. Along with pianist Kornhauser, they performed a recent Valentine’s Day concert at 98 Bottles. The tribute to Jackson, who usually had many musicians accompanying him, might seem daunting for a quintet, but Patton sees it as a blessing.

“Having backup singers and a horn section would work at a bigger venue and be awesome,” he said. “But in a venue like this, we needed to think creatively. People will be surprised that they can recognize the tunes, even though they have different instrumentation.

“I’m the drummer, and the cajon is a great instrument. I always play cajon when Peter and I are in duos or trios. I’ve (made) my singing and playing cajon fluid. It feels very comfortable to lay down the foundation while I’m singing.”

Patton, who lives in San Marcos with his wife, Jerusha, and their three children, has been influenced by a wide range of music.

“Growing up, I listened to everything that was on the radio — rock, pop, R&B and funk,” he said. “I had friends in heavy-metal bands and country bands. I was exposed to a couple of musicians who, at the time, I didn’t realize were jazz. George Benson and Al Jarreau were doing pop music in the ’80s. I had no idea they did jazz, but their pop music was jazz-flavored. I figured that out later. So that influence came in before I even knew it. I appreciate a lot of different styles of music. As a performer, I love the freedom of jazz.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

An impressive collection of San Diego musicians will salute Michael Jackson with a birthday concert-San Diego 2976365378
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down