MJ's L.O.V.E. Is Magical

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MJ's L.O.V.E. Is Magical
MJ's L.O.V.E. Is Magical
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Bad 25 Documentary Reviews Thread.

4 posters

Go down

The Bad 25 Documentary Reviews Thread. Empty The Bad 25 Documentary Reviews Thread.

Post by MJ Mod Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:37 pm

TV review: Hypnotic 'Michael Jackson: Bad 25' is fitting tribute

Spike Lee's TV version shows the singer's dedication as framed by the talent and rigor that went into creating 'Bad.'

By Mary McNamara, Los Angeles Times Television Critic
November 22, 2012, 6:00 a.m.

In a welcome break from the traditionally saccharine holiday programming, ABC is airing "a version" of Spike Lee's documentary "Michael Jackson: Bad 25," which had its premiere at the Venice International Film Festival before having a short theatrical release. Lee trimmed almost an hour for the television version, but "Bad 25" is still something to be thankful for, a hypnotic homage to the performer's gift and, more important, his dedication.

Wielding an impressive collection of behind-the-scenes clips as well as interviews with a disparate array of colleagues (including Martin Scorsese and Sheryl Crow), Lee uses the creation of the album and the "short films" (Jackson eschewed the term music video) the songs inspired to keep his focus firmly on Jackson's work. Although there is brief mention of things like Jackson's shyness, his increasingly pale skin and his choice to speak and sing in the higher registers of his impressive three-octave range, that's as personal it gets. Lee's window is definitively, and almost defiantly, framed by the ambition, talent and rigor that went into creating "Bad."

Indeed, the structure of the film mirrors the album. After a brief discussion of Jackson's refusal to rest on the laurels of the record-breaking "Thriller — according to his bodyguard and confidant, Jackson wrote 100,000,000 for "Bad" on his mirror in a Sharpie to remind him that this album would outsell "Thriller" — Lee begins breaking down the multimedia production of "Bad" beginning with the decision to go with what would become the iconic look of Jackson in his studded and be-buckled black leather.

The look, says Kanye West, made "Bad" an even more seminal album than "Thriller." "I'm almost dressed like that today," West says.

The strongest portion of this version follows the creation of the short film for the title track. Scorsese agreed to direct and brought in screenwriter Richard Price, with whom he had just worked on "The Color of Money."

"Michael wanted to make a video to show the brothers he was down," says Price with a laugh. "So the Italian asthmatic goes to the Jewish asthmatic to make Michael a homie."

Watching as the video assembled — it was, among other things, the film debut of Wesley Snipes — and the dance scene choreographed, the sense of Jackson as both an obsessively dedicated performer and a boy living in a bubble (he cannot believe people actually live in the Harlem location chosen for part of the film) comes vividly to life. (It is also great fun to see a young and bearded Scorsese doing his thing in the Hoyt-Schermerhorn subway station.)

Especially effective are the clips of Jackson working with choreographer Jeffrey Daniel in early rehearsals (at the Helmsley Palace of course). Daniel, like Scorsese is also on hand in present time to deconstruct all the decisions that led to the final product.

Each song receives a similar breakdown and occasionally the film threatens to put out its own fire with a smothering blanket of praise, but Lee more than makes his point: No matter how distracting or disturbing the personal details get, at a certain level an artist must be defined by the work.

Moreover, the Jackson seen here, at the height of his power, is still recognizable as a man rather than the tabloid myth he was to become. So when the inevitable moment of sorrow is effectively captured we mourn the loss of what might have been, cut short not just by death but by a life that for, whatever reason, veered so wildly away from the admittedly narrow and perilous path of genius it had once so gorgeously danced.

Source link: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

MJ Mod
MJ Mod

Back to top Go down

The Bad 25 Documentary Reviews Thread. Empty Re: The Bad 25 Documentary Reviews Thread.

Post by Admin Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:46 pm

I am thrilled after seeing the Bad 25 doc-I did make the DVD also so I will enjoy it again and again! Love you MJ!!

The Bad 25 Documentary Reviews Thread. 1160177962
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Bad 25 Documentary Reviews Thread. Empty 'Bad 25': Michael Jackson's vision celebrated by Spike Lee on Thanksgiving

Post by Admin Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:05 pm

'Bad 25': Michael Jackson's vision celebrated by Spike Lee on Thanksgiving
By: Nelson Barnes

11/23/12

The award winning director, Spike Lee took on what was a phenomenal tribute for a once in a lifetime talent. The Documentary aired on Thanksgiving, focusing on the release of "BAD" which debuted in 1987. The director gives insight into the making of the fifth-best-selling album of all time--which produced singles as "Man in the Mirror,"Smooth Criminal", "The Way You Make Me Feel" and "I Just Can't Stop Loving You".

The documentary brings together those who help create the album as well as famous directors like Martin Scorsese and his crew directing the BAD video. Along with interviews from choreographers who made the iconic short films. Featuring Wesley Snipes in his movie acting debut, including comments on the songs from Chris Brown and Kanye West.

The documentary ends with Michael Jackson on stage doing what he was the most comfortable doing in life which was performing on the stage. The documentary was a fun ride with creativity while not focusing on the controversy, but rather focusing on the great entertainer and giving the artist work the praise it truly deserves.

Spike Lee's documentary re captured the magic of Michael's music career. Interviews, composers never before seen footage of rehearsals and song making allowed the viewer to imagine the work behind the magic of the BAD era. The one thing this Documentary gives is insight to the genius of the man and his musical talents which has not been seen since and most likely never will again.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Bad 25 Documentary Reviews Thread. Empty Re: The Bad 25 Documentary Reviews Thread.

Post by Capricious Anomaly Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:40 pm

I was in another world watching the doc-Spike did the good work-God Bless SL for this homage to Michael and his iconic and forever memorable Bad album!!

The Bad 25 Documentary Reviews Thread. 1304225346
Capricious Anomaly
Capricious Anomaly

Back to top Go down

Post by ljmissmj Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:04 pm

First, I was elated to see Michael Jackson's BAD25 documentary on television. The TV documentary was a great way to reach a larger audience and wonderful way for me to spend Thanksgiving night after eating dinner. Nothing compares to a full tummmy, a glass of wine and Michael... sigh. The documentary gave us a glimpse into the genius of Michael 's creative and thought processes and his dedication to pefection. Now, ok here I go, and don't get mad at me family, but, and I don't mean to spoil anyone's viewing experience, but for me, I didn't care for the editing. Nope it didn't flow well. I was extremely fortunate to see the full length version of BAD 25 - and I know I am no expert at editing film but some really good stuff was cut. I was slightly dissappointed when I saw the edited version on the tube. However, I applaud Spike Lee's brilliant efforts and will buy the DVD when it comes out. I hear that a petition is going out to ABC to air the entire documentary. NEXT TIME SPIKE DON'T EDIT OUT STEVIE WONDER!! grrrrrr
ljmissmj
ljmissmj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down