MJ's L.O.V.E. Is Magical

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

MJ's L.O.V.E. Is Magical
MJ's L.O.V.E. Is Magical
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"This Day in HIStory" January 9, 1988 ~ 'Man In The Mirror' Was Released.

5 posters

Go down

"This Day in HIStory" January 9, 1988 ~ 'Man In The Mirror' Was Released. Empty "This Day in HIStory" January 9, 1988 ~ 'Man In The Mirror' Was Released.

Post by MJ Mod Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:15 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

1988 - World-conscious single, “Man In The Mirror” (written by Siedah Garrett and Glen Ballard), is released, and is the fourth consecutive #1 single off album BAD. It was recorded with The Andre Crouch Choir. The song is described as Jackson going “a step further" and offering "a straightforward homily of personal commitment”, which can be seen in the lyrics:

“I'm starting with the man in the mirror
I'm asking him to change his ways
And no message could have been clearer
If you wanna make the world a better place
Take a look at yourself and then make a change.”

The videoclip features shots of starving children, homeless people, intermixed with shots of individuals that have made contributions towards helping them: Bob Geldoff, organizer of Band Aid and Live AID for the relief of famine victims, Willie Nelson, organizer of Farm Aid benefiting farmers, shots of Mahatma Gandhi, Mother Theresa, Dr. Martin Luther King, Bishop Desmond Tutu, President Reagan with Soviet leader, Mikhail Gorbachov. Other notable people appearing include Raúl Alfonsín, Lech Wałęsa, Anwar El Sadat, Menachem Begin, Jimmy Carter, Rosa Parks, Pieter Willem Botha, and Adolf Hitler. Tragic events such as the Iranian hostage crisis, John Fitzegerald and Robert Kennedy’s assassinations, King’s, John Lennon’s are combined with a more joyful occurrence, the rescue of Jessica McClure from a well in Midland, Texas. Jackson is featured in only a brief shot, raising his arms giving the peace sign, surrounded by a crowd of children while on tour in Japan. “Man In The Mirror” peaks at #1 in the United States soon afterwards. It is one of Jackson's most critically acclaimed songs, topping the Billboard Hot 100 charts for two weeks. The song reaches the #8 in the UK Singles Charts in 1988, but in 2009, following the news of his passing, the song will peak at #2.

MJ Mod
MJ Mod

Back to top Go down

"This Day in HIStory" January 9, 1988 ~ 'Man In The Mirror' Was Released. Empty Re: "This Day in HIStory" January 9, 1988 ~ 'Man In The Mirror' Was Released.

Post by ljmissmj Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:29 pm

i watched the live performance at Wembley today not once but twice. I literally got goose bumps. What a performer and a performance. Once you hear those first four or five chimes at the beginning of Man In The Mirror you know the best is yet to come. Amazing how the lyrics to that song are still so very relevant today. I cannot tell how many times playing Man In the Mirror has lifted my spirits at some very low points in my life. I remember feeling sorry for myself three years ago-I'd lost my job and I was thinking it was time to throw in the towel and give up. I was miserable. I was walking aimlessy with my earphones on listening to 98.7 KISS FM. It was a beautiful Summer day, but I was so despondent the sunshine didn't matter cause my spirit was gloomy. As I walked I heard those chimes coming to my ears and then Michael's voice....instantly tears came to my eyes, I stopped walking and listened with the volume turned up.. but I tell you, once he sang "STAND UP AND LIFT YOURSELF".. something happened and I felt renewe, I really did- once the song ended I felt so much better. I stopped feeling sorry for myself and looked at the sky and felt the sun... life wasn't so bad I could make it another day. I had to do the work to make it better no one else could do it for me. THANK YOU DEAREST MICHAEL! Thank you Seidah, Quincy. ..Nothing lasts forever, except LOVE ..MAKE THAT CHANGE
ljmissmj
ljmissmj

Back to top Go down

"This Day in HIStory" January 9, 1988 ~ 'Man In The Mirror' Was Released. Empty Re: "This Day in HIStory" January 9, 1988 ~ 'Man In The Mirror' Was Released.

Post by midangerous Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:13 pm

Wow, that's amazing how Man in the Mirror inspired you ljmissmj! I never get tired of hearing that song, I sometimes listen to it on my mp3 player over and over.
midangerous
midangerous

Back to top Go down

Post by ljmissmj Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:23 pm

Yes, there are very few songs and artists these days that inspire me or move me inside like Michael Jackson. The way he interprets songs is a real gift. He sings with a deep heartfelt passion, especially when he sings songs about humanity like Man In the Mirror, Heal the World, We've Had Enough and many more. I love MJ.

There's a few inspirational songs by other artists which uplift my spirit as well like Donny McClurkin - We Fall Down (but We Get Up) - take a listen sometime.

Peace...
ljmissmj
ljmissmj

Back to top Go down

Post by midangerous Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:21 pm

I had heard that song too. Smile
midangerous
midangerous

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:16 pm

1/9
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ijustcan'tstoplovinguMJ Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:22 pm

Man in the mirror I my absolute favorite song after Bad. This song has changed my life in so many ways you have no idea.
ijustcan'tstoplovinguMJ
ijustcan'tstoplovinguMJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:42 pm

That's nice to hear IJCSLUMJ. I love it when MJ affects our youth in this world. That would mean everything to him. Smile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ijustcan'tstoplovinguMJ Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:36 pm

"This Day in HIStory" January 9, 1988 ~ 'Man In The Mirror' Was Released. 3967602901 he means everything to me. Smile
ijustcan'tstoplovinguMJ
ijustcan'tstoplovinguMJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down